Thorneapple

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

jasonvkop

Thorneapple

Post by jasonvkop » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:12 pm

Im going to head out to thorneapple sometime in the near future and was wondering if you guys could help me out a little bit. Havent fished it for muskies yet so i was wondering what kind of lures to use, and what locations are good. I hear where the lake connects with the river is pretty good so ill probably fish there quite a bit and im thinking about a jointed believer or something similar because the water has low visibility. Any information would be a great help, thanks!
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:05 am

Jason,
Anything can work at Thorn.Although numbers are decent,it can still be
a tuff nut to crack sometimes.You can find big fish in shallow water,and
in the 12-15 foot range.PM big daddy Charles Lynema he will give ya some pointers.Chuck is the king on Thorn this year so far.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:25 am

There's not a bad spot really. The lake is just over 400 acres so you can fish the whole thing in a day. Lure selection is pretty simple too, they like bucktails, jerkbaits, crankbaits and topwaters. Choose color based on the water, the lake isn't as turbid as it was 20 years ago. However, it will get an algae bloom in the summer - normally early to mid-July. Their primary forage is suckers and carp so colors based on the forage is a good place to start.

This is another lake that has benefitted from Michigan Muskie Alliance. MMA was instrumental in the placement of the 50" size limit on Thornapple.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

dlw681

Post by dlw681 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:22 am

I fished it Monday it was very very clear for thorn...And the fish where ON big time?????????????????????????????????????
let'em go to grow

Dale