New to muskie

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Lureless

New to muskie

Post by Lureless » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:16 pm

Hello all. I am new to this whole muskie thing. I have been out a few times to Murry lake and have had follows but no hook ups. I have been fishing spinner baits. They come right to the boat, I keep the bait moving but they just won't bite. Any suggestions to a newbe?

I have also been fishing a top water walking the dog to nothing. Anyone have any luck with that for muskie. I keep seeing them swirl.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:53 am

dont get frustrated, most of the time muskies will just follow without hitting. Its a normal thing for them, just make sure to keep paying attention for when that one does hit at boatside. Just keep figure 8ing and sooner or later one will eat it. At murray i do pretty well with up and down jerkbaits, have tried some topwaters but havent had anything on them so i dont fish them there anymore.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:08 am

A word of caution- muskies are the demon fish for good reason! The majority of the time they are not cooperative and will frustrate you. You do have to enjoy follows, and consider that a form of success. But in clear water and with pressured fish, it can be VERY tough to get them to snap. You can bet that just about every fish in the lake has seen a few blade baits and walk the dog topwaters in its day. Not that they won't still work, you probably just have to really catch that fish in the right mood to get 'em to eat those baits. What will put them in the right mood would be favorable weather conditions (approaching cold front or clouds/rain storm), sunset, or even total darkness. If you don't happen to be fishing these conditions, try some more unconventional, natural/lifelike, deeper, or some otherkind of alternative baits. Good luck!!

Lureless

Thanks

Post by Lureless » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:08 pm

Thanks for the help. Trust me the follows are great at this point. I love the shakes I get when you see the muskie follow your lure. I can only imagine the strike. Thanks again

Kingfisher

Get the Claw

Post by Kingfisher » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:52 pm

You need a few Claws. www.fishall-lures.com Kingfisher