Looking to get 2 new reels, any advice?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:49 pm

I have a couple 401TE's that I have not had any trouble with except the handle is made of a material that is not strong enough. It is probably a 3000 or 5000 series aluminum in an O temper. it's quites soft and tends to get deformed when you are hammering on it...

I picked up a couple Quantum Cabo 31PTS reels which I have read great things about. They appear to have a very solid return/repair policy.. I like the profile of them as well. Gear ratio is 5.7:1. I have not used them yet, so the jury is out for me.

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:30 pm

Bryan,
I've got the CM200... 5.2:1 gear ratio. I use it for chuckin big stuff... 3-7 ounce baits... and it has held up well. One time it made a little bit of noise, I pulled it apart... oiled it and it was as good as new next cast. It has been worth the money so far... but I've only got maybe 50 good hardcore hours on it... but some of those hours have been in snow, and other really cold icey stuff and I haven't had the problems with the anti-reverse locking up like I had with my Abu C3's... I do like the C3's though... but right now I throw my TICA more. I'll have a more definite answer this time next year!!

Chuck S.

Post by Chuck S. » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:00 pm

I haven't had any problems (so far) with the Abu Record and have two models. But overall, I have used Abu for over 20 years and find it dependable and if it breaks I'm confident the service will come through for you. I used to be a member of the "Ambassedeur" Club (it was disbanded several years ago) and Abu has maintained that basic service philosophy to this point, thankfully. A reel that is not talked about a lot is the old 7000 model. It's powerful and I like it in the Fall for big baits that have a lot of resistance. The weight is up there but in the right situation I have a lot of confidence in it. The St Croix 250 and 300 are also dependable, I feel, and have used them 3 years now with no problem (knock on wood).
Chuck

Bryan Saenz

Post by Bryan Saenz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:13 pm

thanks all for the info and advice, i ended up going with shimano again, I love my calcuttas, so i went that way again.