there MUST be some GIANTS out there!

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Deadduck1

Post by Deadduck1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Hey Duke: I think they spotted a Bigfoot up in Harrison MI.

Will. What would happen if a Muskie from Budd Lake, and a bigfoot had a litter of young???
Would the child you once were, Be proud of the man you are today?

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:11 pm

I was at otsego lake by gaylord and we seen a kid at the state park beach get a tiger 48 inches long and over 20lbs but that was in 2001.but they planted tigers in there sume where in the 70's and 80's.
Gabe

finlander

tigers....

Post by finlander » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:59 pm

....are said to reproduce in Lac View Desert that straddles the Wisc/U.P. border.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:52 pm

Tigers are not so much said to reproduce in Vieux Desert as they are known to be reproduced there at a relatively high rate. Just so happens the habitat is conducive to finding the muskies and pike spawning in the same areas and at overlapping times moreso than in most other lakes. Although it is true that fertile tigers have been documented, it is extremely rare, and therefore only the slimmest of possibilities that the old DNR plants have produced subsequent generations. Realistically those odds are virtually zero though. Probably better odds certainly of a 16 year old Rip Van Winkle tiger... all part of the mystique I guess, love it!

elk_n_esox_baby

giant tiger in Whitmore

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:16 am

Well is was a monster tiger for sure. I doubt it was a lotto offspring of a fertile tiger. Whitmore is deep for S. MIchigan... who knows what lurks down there? Odds really stink at this point I'm sure. 10 Years ago we caught many nice tigers in Whitmore, and even more in Woodland Lake. There really isn't mich left for Musky waters in SE Michigan, other than St Clair, and finding BIG pike in reasonable numbers can be rough too.
Lets save this planet!

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 pm

You have Hudson and Ovid, they aren't that far.

Steve

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Steve S wrote:You have Hudson and Ovid, they aren't that far.

Steve
Plus... Diane, Detroit River, Lake Erie
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

LeMay

Post by LeMay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 pm

their are no tiggers in Ovid and very few pike. In the last 4 years at Ovid I've only hooked 3 pike.

elk_n_esox_baby

Giant Tigers

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:57 pm

I'm not stuck on Tigers... I like all them toothy critters. It's just tigers have been alot more accessable to me based on where I live. I've got pike up to 44" (so far) at the end of my dock, but the chance to hook the mythical 5' musky has had me chasing them for years.
Lets save this planet!

LeMay

Post by LeMay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:37 pm

If you want a nice tiger. You should be looking at a trip to Utah, Colorado, Maryland they have tiger programs. And the one in Utah looks like their are getting some nice size fish out of.

LeMay

MuskyTom

Post by MuskyTom » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 pm

The State of Washington has really nice tigers, they have a Muskies, Inc. club also, Chapter 57 NW Tiger Pac, check out the big tigers on this page
http://www.nwtigermuskies.com/photos.html
Plus if you fish Lake Tapps, Washington, you get this view of Mt. Ranier

Walt Clinansmith

Post by Walt Clinansmith » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi elk. I live in Whitmore Lake and keep my pontoon on the lake. I get out pike fishing about twice a week.
I am always trying for that last tiger but have not seen one in seven years. But.... [smilie=brows.gif] you never know.

Abomb

Post by Abomb » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:38 am

I just want to coment on Lac View Desert: For some reason they do have an unusually high number of tiger muskie in there. I have only fish this lake one solid day, and I boated two tigers (small). On the board at the campground I stayed at there were some pictures of some giants.
On another note, I fished the Indian chain in Canada a couple years ago, and my brother caught a nice tiger. This seemed awfully strange to me since (what I heard) is that there are hardly any pike in there. So the chances of there being a tiger muskie is slim to none. What I have concluded is it is quite possible that this fish was just an extremely colorfully barred normal strain. I wish I would have investigated the marking more closely.

skegmonster19

Post by skegmonster19 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:31 am

Any body of water that has good reproduction of northern strain muskies and pike will have some wild tigers in it. Last summer on the Tahquamenon River I caught 1 tiger and raised another. Both fish were under 20 inches. I'm sure there are bigger in there if someone puts in the time