What should I get?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Mark D. Platt

What should I get?

Post by Mark D. Platt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:45 pm

As a newbie to this club, I have realized something already. You all seem willing to share your knowledge.

I am a line freak, just ask Robhj. I have buddies who "put there name on the list" for all my old line.

I have caught a few muskies, all on my Pike equipment. I prefer to cast.

My question is if I was going to buy a rod and reel to cast some of these ginormous lures, what would you all recommend? What line and size would you put on it?

I was leaning to the Shimano Calcutta 400 or the ABU Record series.

P.S. Robhj I have started to remodel the "doghouse" in a Musky decor. I am getting the distinct impression that we are about to get into a whole lot of trouble. I'll leave your key in the boat. Please lock up and turn the lights off when you leave. I have also paid the retainer to the divorce lawyer and marriage counselor.

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Re: What should I get?

Post by Cyberlunge » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 pm

Mark D. Platt wrote:
P.S. Robhj I have started to remodel the "doghouse" in a Musky decor. I am getting the distinct impression that we are about to get into a whole lot of trouble. I'll leave your key in the boat. Please lock up and turn the lights off when you leave. I have also paid the retainer to the divorce lawyer and marriage counselor.
YOU SURE ARE!!! All the line now is pretty good, I am still a power pro fan because it is wickedly tough and durable. I would steer you to the trolling line thread which is having a similar discussion about new lines.

Kevin
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

Deadduck1

Post by Deadduck1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:19 pm

I'll throw my hat in the ring. I love my Shimano Calcutta 400's, and would not- not have them setup with power pro. I also love the St Croix rods in anything over 7 feet. I have just in the last couple years been going at this hard core, and have tried alot of other gear. This combo does not make me feel like I have been at war, after a day on the water. Good luck finding your great fit!!!
Would the child you once were, Be proud of the man you are today?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Reel:
Okuma Induron 400
Rod:
Okuma (8'6") - EVX-C861XH-T or the Okuma (8') EVX-C-801H

All available at the MMA banquet!!

PowerPro, Cortland, Stren Superbraid, Spiderwire Ultracast - all good stuff provided you use enough gun with 80 or 100#
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

edalz

Post by edalz » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:01 pm

I just booked a trip to Andy Myers Lodge in LOTW and the guy that runs the place, Steve, recommended the new super braid Spiderwire Invisabraid. I have the link listed below and Steve was on a team of people that worked in the development. I also noticed Pete Maina talking about it on one the the Next Bite shows. Steve said that it had tested well and it was the line he would pick.

I have always used 65LB PowerPro and I really like it. I just got a new St. Croix "Big Dawg" rod and a Calcutta TE reel that I am going to put this line on. I will get some of the 80LB line (15LB mono equivalent) Invisabraid and give it a try and will post my thoughts on it. Good luck!

http://www.spiderwire.com/cat.php?k=74403&sk=50685
"I wish ignorance was painful".

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:32 am

The people at Power Pro and Stren have been VERY generous to us lately as you will see at the banquet and other functions so I recomend either or.
I like Power Pro myself for casting 65-80 lb test.And,.........drum roll please......as far as I know, Its made in the USA!!

MuskyPimp

Post by MuskyPimp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:39 am

If I can give you a little advice "Do Not Go Cheap". As you can probably imagine musky fishing puts A LOT of stress on your equipment so just make sure you use quality equipment.

If I were going to buy one rod and reel to cast various lures-cranks, spinners, bucktails... I'd go with a St. Croix Premier Rod MH, 7'6" or 8' length, Daiwa Luna reel filled with 80# power pro.
David Anderson

The more we count the blessings we have, the less we crave the luxuries we don't have - William Ward

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:41 am

MuskyPimp wrote:If I can give you a little advice "Do Not Go Cheap". As you can probably imagine musky fishing puts A LOT of stress on your equipment so just make sure you use quality equipment.

If I were going to buy one rod and reel to cast various lures-cranks, spinners, bucktails... I'd go with a St. Croix Premier Rod MH, 7'6" or 8' length, Daiwa Luna reel filled with 80# power pro.
What!?!?!?! You mean I have to give up my Zebco Dora the Explorer rig? :-x

Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

edalz

Post by edalz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:35 pm

hemichemi wrote:
MuskyPimp wrote:If I can give you a little advice "Do Not Go Cheap". As you can probably imagine musky fishing puts A LOT of stress on your equipment so just make sure you use quality equipment.

What!?!?!?! You mean I have to give up my Zebco Dora the Explorer rig? :-x

I pretty much guarantee the guy with the Zebco will catch the biggest fish.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Tom, my partner was having such a bad year last year. He brought along his college age daudhters Snoopy pole. I did snap a picture of him with it in his hands. BLACKMAIL!!!!!!! He just joined the club so I won't embarress him just yet. Steve

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:30 pm

You've got to watch out for Swiper if you have that Dora combo!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:45 pm

John E. Sox wrote:You've got to watch out for Swiper if you have that Dora combo!
Swiper no swiping, swiper no swiping, swiper no swiping.

Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:43 pm

Oh man!!!

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:54 pm

(Jeez! Whatta buncha dorks! We're gonna scare Mark away! :shock: )

:mrgreen:
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.