Muskies in White Lake? fact or fiction???

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Exactly!... sorry for deviating from the original intent of your question!!

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:11 pm

One last deviation that some might find interesting - an angler I know very well has boated 3 muskies while salmon fishing in Pere Marquette Lake over the past few years. The first was caught before Hamlin was stocked (so not a spillover), and all were heavily spotted. So they ARE out there! It would be interesting if the population is actually closer to 'fishable' in PM than the other drowned mouths. Speaking from experience, fishing areas that aren't fishable is not very exciting!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:40 pm

Pete wrote:One last deviation that some might find interesting - an angler I know very well has boated 3 muskies while salmon fishing in Pere Marquette Lake over the past few years. The first was caught before Hamlin was stocked (so not a spillover), and all were heavily spotted. So they ARE out there! It would be interesting if the population is actually closer to 'fishable' in PM than the other drowned mouths. Speaking from experience, fishing areas that aren't fishable is not very exciting!
There are some drowned rivermouth lakes that have better populations than others. The one thing the better ones seem to have in common is that they are closer to Green Bay. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they only have muskies because of the stocking Wisconsin has done but that hasn't hurt things either. Once you get north of Spring Lake you'll find that all the muskies will be of the spotted variety.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

elk_n_esox_baby

Muskies in White Lake? Fact or fiction???

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:19 pm

Anything is possible, and life seems to always find a way (albeit lately, the life that's finding a way, unfortunately are those of the wrong and problematic species), but i read once that fertilized fish egs can be transplanted from lake to lake, in the plumage of waterfowl.

That's one of the great things about fishing... you never know what you're going to catch, anywhere or any time.

I once caught a 30"-ish muskie on the Huron River, in Island Lake rec area, while fishing for bass and panfish.
Lets save this planet!

Will Schultz

Re: Muskies in White Lake? Fact or fiction???

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:32 pm

elk_n_esox_baby wrote:I once caught a 30"-ish muskie on the Huron River, in Island Lake rec area, while fishing for bass and panfish.
Sometime in the last 5-6 years?
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

elk_n_esox_baby

Muskies in White Lake? fact or fiction???

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:46 pm

Nah... that was late 80's early 90's.
Lets save this planet!