Muskies in White Lake? fact or fiction???

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

elk_n_esox_baby

Muskies in White Lake? fact or fiction???

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:38 pm

While getting some Crappie minnows last weekend, some redneck fisherman guy said he heard there were muskies in White Lake? CAn anyone confirm?

On a really bright note... I drew my Elk tag for Wyoming... can you say back strap baby!
Lets save this planet!

Will Schultz

Re: Muskies in White Lake? fact or fiction???

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:00 pm

elk_n_esox_baby wrote:While getting some Crappie minnows last weekend, some redneck fisherman guy said he heard there were muskies in White Lake? CAn anyone confirm?

On a really bright note... I drew my Elk tag for Wyoming... can you say back strap baby!
There ara some that come and go but catching one would be only slightly better odds than winning the lottery.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

kmur

Re: Muskies in White Lake? fact or fiction???

Post by kmur » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:17 pm

elk_n_esox_baby wrote:On a really bright note... I drew my Elk tag for Wyoming... can you say back strap baby!
Which unit? I put in for 31 with max points and got my first UNSUCCESSFUL of the year. [smilie=brickwall.gif]

elk_n_esox_baby

muskies in White lake? Fact or fiction?

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:01 pm

General tag

probably hunt 89 or 90, depends if I draw a deer tag or not too?
Lets save this planet!

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:59 pm

The rumor is not true. There is no documentation of any muskie in White Lake. Many years ago there was one tiger muskie caught, very likely a stray from Mona Lake.

finlander

White Lake

Post by finlander » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:58 pm

I did hear of one last year that grabbed a 'gill as it was being brought to the boat. A friend had heard of this, last spring I believe. He was supposed to check into it further, but I heard no more.

DeanV

musky

Post by DeanV » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:13 pm

I was talking to some old timers on the pier there once, and they said that people used to catch muskies there in some weedbeds off the mouth of white lake, but not anymore. I am not from the area though, so it very well could just be stories.

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Remember, I need for White Lake and Muskegon Lake historic documentation of the old muskies in form of family photo copies, old news articles, ect. for our native specie project. Sorry, but rumors don't count for documentation.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:27 pm

Maybe you could add Gun Lake to your crusade - old pics exist of native 'skis from there!

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Pete, You need to somehow get the locals of Gunn Lake educated. [smilie=bangtard.gif]
I only been working on my area for near 30 years. [smilie=grandpa.gif]

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:02 am

I don't have any documentation, but I guarantee you there is a muskie in White Lake RIGHT NOW!

Just because one hasn't been caught and documented means nothing by me, I just hate it when biologists start spewing the "our scientific data has not shown..." blah blah blah. Kinda reminds me of the front page announcement on the DNR website right now- they are claiming this sensational find of the first confirmed cougar tracks in the state, while the rest of the citizens who actually go out into the real world, away from the scientific journals and computer screens, are sarcastically saying "no crap, thanks for the news flash!"...

finlander

white lake-WEST side

Post by finlander » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:12 am

We are talking of the same lake, right?

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:18 am

Yup.

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:32 am

I understand what you are saying well, but I have to work within the system as awkward as it is.
It is unfortunate that I don't have the old photo documentation within my own family. My father and uncle both had caught historical muskies in Muskegon Lake back in the 1910's, through the 40s. My family had a house on Bear Lake Channel with old boat rentals etc before factory pollution, shoreline developments, and the freeway altered the healthy environment need for walleye and pike/muskie spawning. Their stories and time taking me fishing is what lead me to fishery biologist career. However, my father did take a b/w Bear Lake Channel photo of me when I was 2-1/2 years old wearing life preserver, ball cap, holding a fishing rod, and my first northern pike. The members of this site understand well what I'm referring to.

elk_n_esox_baby

White lake muskies Fact or Fiction

Post by elk_n_esox_baby » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:49 pm

I'll end the discussion based on the fact that there possibly are a few swimming around in White Lake, but not in enough numbers to merit an attempt at catching one.

The muskies of white lake are known as the "Fish of a 2 millions casts, or the occasional blue gill"
Lets save this planet!