lake superior

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Abomb

lake superior

Post by Abomb » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:32 pm

I probably shouldnt say this, cuz this guy I talked to is real secretive but.....this oldtimer up in the UP I talked to last week (I wont mention his name) says he has it narrowed down to a tiny bay off the kewenaw pen. He claims he has a buddy that is a comercial fisherman up there that has netted several 60-70 inch fish over some clam beds. This guy says that with in the next several years he will catch one. I thought it was such a great story, that gave me chills down my spine, (even though I have many doubts) and I'm not going to argue with him, because that is an area that NOBODY fishes so....you never know. AK

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:32 am

There are several areas in Lake Superior that historically have populations of muskies both GLS strain and Wisconsin/Northern strain. Some of them are well known and some aren't. Regardless, few people fish them since the numbers are usually too low for anyone but diehards who don't even want to catch fish under 45 inches and don't care if they only get one fish a season. With today's gas prices you could spend a lot of green trolling without success. However, it could get you the fish of a lifetime but there are better places to spend your money to do this. Thats the bittersweet fact of Gitchagumee. A 60 or 70 inch fish? God, I could only hope so.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:37 am

I have talked to some of the Supieror folk up that away and I have heard the same kind of info. I have actually thought about spending some time up there in the spring. I am not sure but I would bet these fish would be available pre-spawn chasing suckers around the 15th of May or so, but that is just a guess.
MuskyDan

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:58 am

Actually Dan, your timing is pretty good right now- spring is just about to break on the big lake... but be careful handling any of those pre-spawn muskies out there right now.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:09 pm

Assuming that you're right Duke on the spring thing, I was refering to fishing rivers and such when the suckers are running, you may even know the spot I am suggesting. I would have to believe that there is a migration that takes place this time of year (meaning opener)??
MuskyDan

rodhawg

Post by rodhawg » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:07 pm

Hey guys there are fish being caught on the detroit river this year up to 55 inches this year ,, why travel that far for a fish of a life time???
Doin the work,

John E. Sox

Post by John E. Sox » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:56 pm

I'll let Duke answer Rod Hawg's question.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:43 pm

Why isn't the Detroit River the destination for that fish of a lifetime?

#1 - The scenery isn't exactly the same. There's a slight difference between a two story rock cliff and a two story seawall.

#2 - This is not a slam on St Clair/Detroit River and not a pompous attitude because I spend my share of time on LSC/DR. However, 55" and 35-40 pounds is a nice fish but not anywhere near the potential available in some areas of Michigan. LSC/DR is a great fishery but it's also a fishery that has NEVER produced a mid-40 pound fish. For 50"+ fish it's right up there with the best of them, if I'm looking for the fish of a lifetime it wouldn't even make my top 20.

To me the fish of a lifetime is the one that will make me question ever fishing muskies again. I thought that might be 50# and it was for about a month.... Is it 60#? I'll probably never know but it will be fun looking...

To each their own...
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:40 am

I believe I saw a 50 # ski once. I don't think I've been the same since. My wife will attest to that . Hey Will, did you get my email a few days ago? I'm not seeing the members only page. I am registered now (duh, I'm not the most computer literate fisherman around here) and I assume I should be seeing the icon for the members only page?

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:57 am

No doubt if its fish you're after there's no need to travel. I thank God that SE Michigan has those fisheries out the back door, if not for that the rest of the state would suffer...

The straight truth about the sucker runs is that in many places you won't even notice a difference in the muskies' location. I thought along those same lines, seems logical, but it has only marginally paid off. If I could spend more time up there, maybe the window is short and I've just missed it, but I doubt it. The sucker runs are epic in those places, and I think that might be some of the explanation. The forage base is immense, the runs are drawn out, and wherever the muskies are at any time, there is an ample supply of tasty treats. The sucker run in some rivers I have fished has not proven to be the silver bullet yet, and really hasn't shown any effect on catch rates at all ???

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:08 am

Hey Duke, how ya doin? Trying to get your buddy Jon E Sox to go fishing with me but he's a tough nut to crack!!! Back on the subject of suckers.........I don't let the sucker run (or any run of baitfish for that matter) dictate when or where I fish. At least I don't think so. I fish where the muskies are ........thats it. In the places I fish, if you try to figure out why the muskies are where they are you'd go crazy. I try not to burden myself with the why's and concentrate on the where's and my presentation. So far, slow rolling big spinnerbaits is hot - as usual.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:53 am

Steve - No I didn't get an email.

You should be all set in about a minute. You might need to log off and back on.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:05 pm

Thanks Will.

Kingfisher

There are no Muskies in Lake Superior

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:14 pm

You guys are wasting your time , just go fish in wisconsin lol. Ive been quietly fishing an area that is connected to Lake superior and have been somewhat successful . The spring runs of suckers will bring Muskies and Pike in from all the great lakes and some will be pre spawn and some will be time to spawn and some will be post spawn. The window is narrow unless it stays cold. The hot spring we had this year put a quick end to post spawn fish staying in the drowned river mouths and small bays. If you were not there when they arrived you missed them. Most of these huge predators arrive before the Ice is out and stage in preparation for the arrival of trout ,suckers and smelt . As the Pike and Muskies also have to spawn this kind of sets the stage so to speak. Any drowned river mouth with runs of trout and suckers or places where smelt are netted can be and are staging areas where big pike and muskies will stage in spring before and during ice out. If water temps stay cold the post spawn predators are very eager to feed and this is the best time to locate and catch this fish of a lifetime. Of course they will have lost the weight of the eggs. The pre spawn timing is most always during the harshest weather with driving sleet, freezing temps and ice. Be prepared to face the elements as they are as tough as the great fish you seek. In lakes Michigan, Huron and Superior look at the drowned river mouths where the trout fisherman are lined up on the pier heads casting spoons and egg sacks. Indiana and southern Michigan rivers are the first to draw the runs of sucker and trout .Move north as the temps rise and trout catches increase along the shores of lakes Huron and Michigan. Anywhere in the great lakes and St Lawrence seaway the world record could be caught. Even in the detroit river. Its been proven that these big predators will roam hundreds of miles. Georgian bay hawgs in the St. Claire area, Lake Erie fish moving up thru St. Claire to lake Huron. Who knows where she will be caught but one thing is certain. She will be caught and in fact has been caught and released several times in the last 10 years. So good hunting for this is a lonely hunt with little reward and few fish in the boat. Chasing this mega fish will tax your endurance ,your checkbook and your patience. Have fun , Kingfisher

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:05 pm

I had this explained to me once that God gave SE Michigan LSC and enough muskie to keep the masses of trolls south of the bridge. God wanted to keep the UP as a beautiful place to fish muskie in peace just a bit closer to God.