Sanford muskies ?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Kingfisher

Sanford muskies ?

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:42 pm

spring 2008 (May) baby musky caught by fisherman in the saginaw river near the mouth of the Tib. Fish looked to be a barred musky. 13 inches long fish was released.

Question, wasnt Sanford stocked fall of 2007? If so could it be true that muskies are going through the dam or spillway ? If so is there anything that can be done to keep that from happening? Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Mike, Yes it is true that a few muskies have been going pass the Sanford Dam. I talked with a man that several years ago caught muskies in the first big hole just below the junction of the Salt River. He had one of the larger muskie mounted.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:08 pm

:cool: This means many year classes in Saginaw Bay by now. Low numbers but a better chance than Lake Michigan. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Not sure I'd waste my time trolling out there Mike. God knows there are a ton of Walleye guys trolling out there and I've personally heard of only one small musky caught and I keep in touch with a number of tourney pros that live in the area. It's a needle in a haystack.
Stupid Fish!!!!

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:28 am

Mike,

Once upon time, I heard of a guy who used find enough muskies around the Charity Islands to make it worth while. That was years ago, though. Usually, June-July, and again in October, alot like many other GLS hotspots. I have an aunt who's got a small place on Wildfowl Bay. Pretty area. You don't know till you go and try!

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:35 pm

If I was going to go after a 40 pounder and stay in Michigan I would hit the Elk Chain or the St. Mary's. I really like the potential of the St. Mary's for miss piggy!!! [smilie=2c.gif] I'm hoping in 10-12 years that Hamlin might be there :cool:

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Most of the walleye pro's are useing crawlerhaness most pro's wouldn't be caught dead useing body baits.But alot of regular people who troll the bay are using body baits.The hot ponds in early spring is what I would bet on thats where they get a few musky.Theres not one person I know who just trys for muskys out on the bay I know alot of people who fish the bay the pro's and regular fisherman.I tryed now and them and started getting big walleye and just fished the walleye. I got a few it in the lower tittabawassee river but there's alot of water to cover.I know a few people who get in to muskys every year on the titt between freeland and saginaw.
Gabe

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:04 am

I am certain that muskies could possibly make it to the bay!! [smilie=bs.gif] I would bet that over the years I have heard that same story 100 times, "I caught a small musky"!! Most people, unless they are musky freaks like us can't distinguish between a pike and a musky when they are small like that. The small sub-legal pike can be very decieving, not because they look like a musky so much, but because they don't look like a pike. If a guy wanted to target Lake Huron for muskies I would think the St. Mary's would be the best shot I mean second to Georgian Bay.

Mike I know guys that spend the entire summer throwing large spoons, bucktails and musky sized cranks for big walleyes, pike and bass off of both sides of Saginaw Bay. Never a mention of a muskie. The only legit hearings of a muskie I have ever got was that Mike Avery caught one trolling a hot-n-tot out by the spark plug. Good luck though, you'll at least catch some good pike and some walleyes.
MuskyDan

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:15 am

MuskyDan,

Some of what you've said has weight. But, if there are muskies in the Saginaw River watershed, there are muskies in Saginaw Bay. However, the numbers vs. the area of water in square miles would make it tough to say the least. There have also been spotted fish caught in the bay, probably strays fromm other populations but not many. Likely not even enough fish to be worth going for most people. But, the pike vs. muskie thing goes both ways. I've found that many, many times a noob, a moron, or a guy who just doesn't know, says "Check out this nice pike I got!". Only its not a pike. Hence the Know the Difference signs I've plastered, or have given to plaster, over a pretty large geographical area.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 am

agreed, but with a nickname like "muskydan" you'd be amazed how many people come into the store bragging about the fish "musky" they've caught on waters that surely don't have them. With today's cell phone cameras I can discredit most of their claims. I would agree that muskies probably have migrated to the bay from Sanford and possibly Georgian Bay and even LSC, but the fact that the incedental(sp) catch numbers are so limited I have to believe that it doesn't warrant wasting one minute of time fishing for them. Now the Charities could be different, it would be worth fishing there just to see it if you haven't already. That is an amazingly beautiful and mysterious area.
MuskyDan

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:30 am

Well said. I've seen the area. You're right on. It reminds me of some areas of Green Bay. Wildfowl Bay holds fond memories for me as well.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Well I have talked to several of the big charter boats that swear they have been bitten off by Muskies. Three incedents last year make me believe that there is at least one spot near the mouth of the river where several big Muskies or Pike like to hold. Three different Charter boats are telling me that weed growth is happening in many places where it has not been in the past. This is starting to concentrate both Pike and Muskies. I have GPS coord. for 5 different areas where big fish have schooled walleye fishermen. The bay is open all year and that is why I am going there. To me I have a much better chance there then out in Lake Michigan over here. I am looking for a pre spawn giant. Saginaw bay opens up before the st marys. Another place I am considering is the Upper end of Lake Erie just past the Detroit river line. But make no mistake I have no Illusions of the chances. I know they are slim but this is not a hunt for stocked dinks in a small lake. Saginaw bay has the potential to produce a monster. Its worth a three day adventure to explore it. Mid April will find me on the St. Marys if its open water. Once Michigans season opens we will be on the northern chains and into the Upper peninsula as soon as it opens as well. I am maximizing my chances at pre spawn Michigan fish. I may also take a shot this month in Indiana and Ohio. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Mike, the St. Mary's doesn't open until May 15. Anyway, early in the season is as tough as it gets there. I usually don't start fishing until after Memorial Day.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:37 pm

I kind of thought that. There are areas off the mouth of the St. Marys in Lake Michigan that I have had my eye on. But I can either sit here and wonder about Saginaw bay or go there as soon as the ice is off and troll it. I am not going to wait until may because by then the spawn is going to be over and the weights down. I want 40 pounds. As it is I will have maybe 3 weeks in early may on the northern Chains and the Upper peninsula to stick a pre spawn pig then its over. My next chance will come in October,November and December. Right now they are pigs I wish I was on open water right now somewhere where there are 40 pounders. Ohio comes to mind. Brookeville res. in Indiana as well. I may be heading down there in a couple of weeks to take a shot. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:00 pm

---little off topic waters-----

What about MAC ? Maybe a 40lber in there. Lots of drum and suckers
to munch on.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????