Shimano Curado's

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 pm

Tory - Older C3's and C4's are actually really easy to work on and so far I've found that all parts can be replaced. Abu has exploded diagrams for all the reels at their site. Free and easy to print out. If I can tear one totally apart and rebuild it with upgraded or replacement parts then you can, too. Be sure to start with a nice open table with good light and take your time. As you take the reel apart, set the pieces in order from center of table. If you need to, take digi pics as you take it apart so you have a better idea of what goes where in what order. Oh, throw the cat outside while all those little parts are laying there.

Tell you what, it is a nice feeling to hit the water knowing that your reel is in perfect operating condition. And you can fix your reels on trips, etc.

I can totally tear down and rebuild a simple 5000 or 6000 series in about 2 hours, including careful cleaning and proper lubrication. But my first try probably took me 10 hours! Check out Hatterass Outfitters "reel candy", cool stuff.

Chuck S.

Post by Chuck S. » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Speaking of Abu reels, I had an opportunity a couple weeks ago to make some casts with Rob Manthei's Revo Toro 60 model reel and was impressed with the low profile yet good power on retrieving #10s. He indicated to me he was involved in the design directly with the folks in Sweden and casting and retrieving muskie lures was one of the design goals for this reel. I believe it has a 5:4 to 1 retrieve. I may pick one up for next year. I have been happy this year, so far, with the performance of my new Penn International 975 reel and the old workhorse 7000C (serviced) for my 10's and 12's. As a matter of fact, I think the 7000 serviced by Chuck Brod's Sportsman's Repair Shop in Wisconsin works better than it did new?!?! Happy Casting.
Chuck