LAKE HUDSON

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

detroithardcore

LAKE HUDSON

Post by detroithardcore » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:41 pm

I've never been to lake hudson and really looking forward to fishing this lake in Lenawee County. I hear it's fairly small and want to know if my 20.5ft boat will be too big? It has a deep V hull and want to get on this water with it. I understand it's a no-wake lake and would follow all rules but need to know how shallow the launch and bays are for this boat. If I can't put it on this body of water have people fished for Muskie from shore around the lake? Have people caught fish from shore? Am I able to walk around the lake and fish for Muskie? My boats is a 1988 Stratos 2000XL which is a bowrider made for more skiing and tubing. It's not really a fishing boat but it's all I have and it floats. I use it for fishing all the time and family time as well. Thanks in advance for advice and information.

Scott
Scott

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 pm

My best piece of advice would be to outbid Ed and get Steve as a guide for a day on Hudson! Steve will take you to all the hotspots in the lake, and make it so you are comfortable going there with your own rig. You don't even have to bring your boat on this trip! Sounds like a great deal, and you only have to beat the $50 bid!

http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/f ... php?t=4529

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:33 pm

From: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

There'll be places you can't go, but you should be OK if you're careful...
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATAL ... HUDSON.PDF
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:25 pm

It is a good launch and a boat that size will have no issues. It is a no wake lake and is state owned and there are no cottages on it and it is very peaceful there.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:10 pm

I agree with ED, I've seen 18',19' and 20' Rangers, monster pontoons. The only thing I saw have a bit of a hard time getting in and out was a big sail boat, but that could have been operator error. Haven't found any stumps or anything like that, plus your only doing 3 to 4 MPH. so you can't get into trouble. It's like being up north, quite and you see alot of critters. Steve

detroithardcore

Thanks

Post by detroithardcore » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:03 am

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Steve, I actually took Jim's advice and bid on you for a "guide for a day". I new to MMA and thought it'd be a great idea to learn from someone like you who fishes Hudson all the time.
Scott

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:57 am

If you are going to get serious about muskie fishing I would keep the bow rider for St. Clair and get a small Jon boat like my little 1448 Sea ark for little lakes all over the country and Canada. Mine is powered with the 9.9 merc 2 stroke and I pull it with my little Chevy Aveo. I even won the 2005 Ice up tournement with it. I have an 18 foot Deep V starcraft and have fished Hudson with it. No problem. I picked my little rig up for and fully outfitted it for under 3 grand. They are around right now for half that. You want the 48 inch bottom though the others are too tippy. Kingfisher
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Kingfisher, ive been looking for a 15 ft or so jon boat w/trailer and small motor for around 2 grand at most, but havent been able to find anything unless its on craigslist etc.. You know of any dealers that may have a good deal? I havent been able to get up to the muskegon boat dealer up there, but i want to. Let me know if u have any tips.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:52 pm

I found mine in the newspaper. I paid 2300.00 for it and put another 500 into it. New hulls are not too bad its the motors that get you. Pm Joe Bednar , he got one last year I think or the year before he may have a good lead. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:15 pm

cool, thanks

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:16 pm

Scott, nice to meet you . You have a good start. I would google pursuit or go down to Lakeside fishing shop in St Clair Shores. Get 4 rail mount Downeasters for your boat. That will solve your rod holder problems. Use some rubber inner tube around the rail then clamp the holder over that. The rubber gives them good grip and keeps the holders from scarring up your rails. Pm me if you need anything else. Mike and Michelle
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:14 pm

kingfisher-

Thanks a lot for all your help! Your lures are amazing and the time you have put in shows just by looking at the quality. I can't wait to hook a beauty with one of your slashers! I'm awaiting next payday and will be giving you a call to place an order for some lures you showed me. I'm taking this Friday off and going back out on Hudson(weather permitting) and hoping to get lucky. Let me know where you think I should start in the lake? Shallow? deep? etc... I'm going to really take the time to get to know the lake as best as possible. I'm in the process of getting a new sonar but until then it's kinda "old school" fishing for me. I noticed how Hudson had no visablity so what color presentations are best in these conditions? After speaking with you on Sunday I realized I was using too big of lures and have to go smaller. Anyway, expect an order from me next Friday and way to go on going full-time with the lure biz! I was very impressed! Thanks!

Scott
Scott