fire extinguisher notice

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Scott Williams

fire extinguisher notice

Post by Scott Williams » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Last time I was on Thorn I was stopped by a Barry County officer and he was doing the safety check. Everything was fine, but then he asked if I had a fire extinguisher. I said, "No my boat is only 14 feet, I didn't think I needed one." He informed me that since my boat has a floor added to it that I needed a fire extinguisher since gas vapors could settle under the floor causing a problem. He was very nice and let me off with a warning, but this was the first I had heard of this. Is this news to anybody else???

Scott

Will Schultz

Re: fire extinguisher notice

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:51 pm

I believe the rule is that if the gas tank is covered then regardless of boat length you need to have an FE.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 pm

I do not have the gas tank covered, but the officer still told me I needed one. Probably not a bad idea to have one, but I was surprised to hear this. Maybe TF will chime in to set me straight.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Hmm... I guess even if the tank isn't covered/permanently installed that you need one if the boat has a floor (traps vapors).

Here's the rule...

At least one B-1 type* approved hand portable fire extinguisher. (Not required on outboard mototrboats less than 26' in length and not carrying passengers for hire if the contruction of such motorboats will not permit the entrapment of explosive or flammable gases or vapors, and if fuel tanks are not permanenetly installed)

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/firex.htm
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:19 pm

Big Fish Williams,
Funny you say that. I was under the same impression as you.
About 3 seasons ago I was also stopped by a couple BC officers.
He hit me up on the fire extinguisher thing and we got to arguing.
Needless to say,..he won(crotchity old man!!) Ive had one on
board eversince!
--better to be safe than sorry anyway.

Mike Stinson

Post by Mike Stinson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:43 pm

I have a feeling that if the floor in a boat catches fire from the bottom side, about the only practical use for that fire extinguisher is going to be if you place it between your legs after jumping in the water and then utilizing the gas propulsion to get your butt away from the boat quickly… Bad Joke #1… Kid this one’s for you.. Next time look him in the eyes and say: Fire extinguisher, why the heck do I need that when I have Progressive Boat Insurance!... Bad Joke #2

Bad Joke Disclaimer: I do respect and obey all Marine Laws, and take safety very seriously.

biiigfish32

yep

Post by biiigfish32 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Thats the same thing that happened to me a Ducan Lake
Corey P (biiigfish32)

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:42 pm

About 3 weeks ago at Hudson the Coast Guard Aux. was there doing saftey check's , passed and got my sticker.