i'm confused with all the different rod's and reels

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

masterangler182

i'm confused with all the different rod's and reels

Post by masterangler182 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:26 pm

hi i was hoping i could get some different idea's from people who actually fish muskie and pike regularly. I'm new to muskie fishing and was wondering what kind of rods......reels.......line.....i should look into. I really dont wanna spend more than about 130 for a rod and reel. And should i get a 8 ft rod or 7ft rod, and should i get a bait caster or what not,. I just have no idea at all so some help would be great, so i can get out on the water soon and land some muskie
masterangler182

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Master, IMO a buck thirty is going to limit you quite a bit. Right off hand Id say look for some good used stuff. New stuff,... maybe a cheaper ABU garcia 5500 series,Phlueger trion, or the low end Shamono corvalas. Rod choice,.. maybe a Gander Mountian musky series. Length is another tuff question. How it feels in your hands,how close or far from the water you are,and type of lures you throw all play into this question. Keep in mind your also going to need some good line and a couple leaders which will add a little more cost.
Im sure a couple people here will give you some good choices to get started. Its a little overwhelming at first. Good luck !! -kid

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:09 pm

You might have tough time finding a quality outfit for $130. I would definitely purchase a baitcasting reel, and invest in some quality superbraided line (PowerPro, Spiderwire, etc.) As for the rod it might depend on which types of baits (weight, type).

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:02 pm

You will get lots of ideas from the gang here... As noted, a new outfit that is suitable for Muskie will be hard to get for $130, but you may be able to do it... If you allocated $80 for the Reel, and $120 for the rod, you will have more entry level options.

I would recommend a 7.5 or 8' rod rated to 3 ounces. There are some budget conscious options such as the Gander Mountain Muskie Rods, Rizzo Muskie Rods, or possibly the Bass Pro Pete Maina Rods on sale (I have a couple new or like new in your price range for sale as another option;)). If you can spring a little more, there is St. Croix Triumph or premiers

If you reel with your right hand, you will have more choices, especially used. If left, then less options, and you least expensive Option will probably be an Abu Garcia 65XX or 66XX series. They are OK reels to get you started. You can start to look at low level shimanos & pfluegers too.

Don't forget 80 lb Power Pro, Spider Wire Stealth, Tuff Line, or equiv, which will run $25.

And good Leaders! Don't skimp on the leaders or terminal tackle.

Fire away with your questions. Most of us have been there. Before you know it, you will have 10 combos for various casting and trolling presentations.

Welcome!
Last edited by Chasin50 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:49 pm

On top of the rod/reel, there's lots of good stuff on our tips/info page about other tools an techniques that will help you and the muskies survive your coming ordeals:

http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/tips.php
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 pm

It's no cheap date and before you know it, your going to have more stuff and say how could I live without that. Do you have a boat? And like Hemi said, the tip's page will help you. You can get some good deals on e-bay, rods, reels, baits. Try e-snipe and you can win alot of them.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 pm

yea i would say if 130 is ur limit on a combo, then what about the price of muskie lures heh?

Will Schultz

Re: i'm confused with all the different rod's and reels

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:25 pm

masterangler182 wrote:hi i was hoping i could get some different idea's from people who actually fish muskie and pike regularly. I'm new to muskie fishing and was wondering what kind of rods......reels.......line.....i should look into. I really dont wanna spend more than about 130 for a rod and reel. And should i get a 8 ft rod or 7ft rod, and should i get a bait caster or what not,. I just have no idea at all so some help would be great, so i can get out on the water soon and land some muskie
I think you can find something great in that price range as long as you aren't in a hurry and are willing to buy used. Used is really the best way for you to find a good set up in your price range. A couple options might be...
- The MMA lure swap coming up in December. It could be a great way to pick up a new rod/reel as well as lures for very reasonable prices.
- The Muskie First forums are also a good place to keep an eye on - http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/f ... .asp?fid=6
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.