Campau Lake

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

masterangler182

Campau Lake

Post by masterangler182 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:31 am

hey guys just wondering if anyone had any advice for hooking up with some muskie this weekend at campau lake. The lake itself is either very shallow and weedy, or very deep. It is a tough lake to fish, we caught one on sunday there but since then have had no luck at all. I was just wondering what we should do. I caught him sunday on a spoon so ive been using that lately , should i stick with that? Just some general advice would be great for this new muskie fisherman, i dont know that much, thanks.......
masterangler182

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:11 am

Well the biggest advice I can give is musky fishing isn't easy. You aren't going to catch one every time so don't get down if you get skunked. It is also a very tough time to start musky fishing since the water is getting cold and the fish are slowing down. Since the water temp is dropping so quickly I would recommend slowing down lure speed. The fish aren't going to be eating as much since their metabolism is slowing down and they aren't really going to be chasing down baits so something slow that hangs in their face is probably your best bet. Try slow moving dawgs/superDs, glide baits, hanging crankbaits/twitchbaits. Campau has some nice fish in it so just keep at it.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

edalz

Post by edalz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:25 am

I would try fishing a Hellhound slow and what size was the spoon you caught the muskie on?
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:36 am

It may be easier to find out more about you first.
What kind of lures do you have right now? Is your equipment able to cast muskie lures ( the right rod, reel, line, leader)? Big (fish friendly) net and release tools? Some info on releasing muskies can be seen here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHyVsyMBeM

In general Campau is easy to fish due to the size. In a couple hours you can fish shallow, deep and everything between so finding fish usually isn't diffucult. Fall usually has fish moving deeper and remaining there through winter. However under certain conditions muskies may go very shallow this time of year. When I do fish Campau in the fall Kettle gets most of my attention.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:20 am

Master,
Last time I was there the bait fish were stacked in Kettle(Kettle is the deep side,and "bait fish" doesnt always mean top shelf muskie forage)
Its a area to try however. There are still lots of green weeds on the "campau" side. Put on a striaght medium diving crank bait and have at it !!
What equipment did you end up getting? Make sure you watch Will's vid. Having the "right stuff" can be the difference between a good, fun experience, or.... a bad one ! Good luck !!

PS-Welcome to the sickness !!

PPS-are you with Biiigfish32? I guess he got one last week on a spoon also.

biiigfish32

campau

Post by biiigfish32 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:11 pm

I didn't know that that was you Will in the video. I watched that a while time ago before I statred fishing muskie and it really helped. I think the only thing a really need is a bigger boat now and a bigger net
Corey P (biiigfish32)

masterangler182

Post by masterangler182 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Kid Coulson

We got that muskie in pretty shallow water, we were trolling towards kettle lake and got him,. And yes me and Biiigfish32 we fish togeather all the time, weve been fishin partners for about a year and a half now. and right now i'm just using some of his things till i can get my own setup here soon

Edalz
the spoon i was using when i caught my first muskie in campau was a longer red and white daredevil, but it has holes in the middle of it, and i also use a yellow red diamond 1 oz spoon also
masterangler182