Gander deal

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

finlander

Gander deal

Post by finlander » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Found a Gander series IM-7 MH, 7'- 1 piece, with an Abu 6500C3 for $79 today at the Grandville store. Picked up a new lifevest for the wife as there were some 50% off, unadvertised. Went there hoping to find that fall deal of $10 off the GS rods. Maybe it was on but it was not advertised there or on the website. Reel came w/o a box. Still I thought it was an ok deal. There were two others there too. Reel says it can hold 155 yards of 20 lb. test. I loaded it with 80 pound superline and am getting close to the edge of the spool. (125 yards says the mfgr.) Not even close to using up the remaining line. I did not put mono on under. Question is this: is the mono used to cushion the spool from the superline, when the line is retrieved under pressure? Is it THAT necessary? I know many use it to increase the diameter so more line is gained at the end of the retrieve. I have filled the spool with the line, so I am there already... :oops:

Tom Stinson

Post by Tom Stinson » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:50 pm

You need some mono underneath, otherwise the super line will slip on the spool.The supers' dont grab the bare spool like mono does.
Tom

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Right on cool Tom.Alot of people do fill alot of the bottom of the spool
with junk backing,but then you get that cute little knot that ties the two
lines together in the way.If ya dont do it right(like me) that knot will
drive ya crazy!

finlander

slipping away....

Post by finlander » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:30 am

I noticed that it spun so i was going to take the line off and tape it. Are you saying that the whole baich of line will turn when there is something on the other end?( log, rock wall, wreck, 'ski) the Finn

Tom Stinson

Post by Tom Stinson » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:31 pm

Yes, all of the line will spin on the spool under tension.
Tom

muskyguy

Post by muskyguy » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:36 pm

Hello,

If using mono backing it's best to only use about 20 yards and just eat the cost to fill the rest of the spool with your power pro. If you put too much backing on, the uni-uni knot will stick out like a sore thumb and may also even catch your super braid on it's way out if you really send her packing and your braid gets low.
Another suggestion if you don't mind a little black mark on your spool, is to use a thin strip(1/4") of 3m 130c electrical splice tape across the spool width. When wound under the tension required for super braids it flattens right out and your line will NEVER slip. It's a gorrilla grip and trust me it's worth the extra cost to spool with only the braid because, in my opinion you get a more uniform wrap.

GREG
GREG

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:50 pm

When using mono backing it's important to use only 12-14lb. I've done this for years now and will never spool more than 100 yards of PowerPro on a muskie reel. If done correctly with the right amount of line you'll never see or feel the knot. When fishing flats I will bomb cast and I've never seen or felt a knot. You can save some money when spoolling many reels at once. I'll be re-spooling five reels this winter with only a 500 yard spool. That's $62 vs. $115 - or in muskie angler language a savings of 2-3 lures.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

finlander

spool

Post by finlander » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:03 am

Has anyone ever fought a fish that took the line down to that knot area. or close to it? I'll be at the lodge at Birch Sunday night and want to hear the details of a fish that spooled a Muskies Canada member who was fishing up there a month ago. Wonder how much line he started with on his 6500...

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:16 am

I've never had a muskie take more than about 50' of line when casting. That leaves about 250' left before I get to my backing. We're not talking saltwater fish here...

Trolling is a little different, I've seen fish that went from 20' to 80' pretty quickly but you also have to consider that the boat is going 5mph.

Even the sturgeon I caught on Saturday didn't run off more than 100' of line during the fight. Even on the initial rip, it went from15' to 138' and was at 165' when I started backing the boat toward the fish.

Realize I'm talking feet here not yards, that's how muskies fight. It's a violent fight but it all takes place near the boat. If someone gets spooled with a muskie they have done something terribly wrong.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

muskyguy

Post by muskyguy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:56 pm

Hello,

Hello,

Was trolling Little Baydenoc with a customer on a late fall walleye hunt. Well, this fellow was really exited about catching his first trophy walleye. We had caught several nice fish that evening and still had lots of time left on the water. The next fish really zipped a board back, it took a little time to get the board close enough to remove and as I was taking the board off I could feel that we had a nice fish. I moved to the wheel to drop my speed a little and as I am doing this my customer tells me there is something wrong. I come over and hes only got a few wraps of line on the reel (sealine 27) and it was filled with 14lb mono! He accidentaly flipped the spool release and did'nt realize it.(I keep the freespool tension on the tighter side) It only took a split second and we went from a full spool down to almost no line. I pulled the other boards and backed down so we could get some line on the spool quick. The fish was landed and it took quite some time for this fellas wet noodle arms to "dry off". Well, that is the only time I've ever seen that much line pulled off a spool and that was from a mistake. Fish are like people, they get tired too. How far would lance armstong go with 30-40 lbs strapped to his back?

GREG
GREG