Fall Trolling

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

biiigfish32

Fall Trolling

Post by biiigfish32 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:16 am

My boat is to small to reall have two people casting big muskie lures so I tend to troll. I know casting is usually better in late fall, but if I was going to troll what would be the best way to go about it?
Corey P (biiigfish32)

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:48 pm

I have never had it proved to me that casting is more productive in the fall. All of our biggest Muskies have been taken trolling in the fall. Trolling tactics depend on the lake you fishing. Contour trolling along weed edges works great in lakes like Thornapple. Planer boards work great on Lake st. Clair. Deep divers in deep clear lakes with deep forage. long lining on the St. Lawrence. Its all good. My favorite fall lures are my own 12 inch Deepthreats and my new 9.5 inch Magnum Claw. The Nils Master Invincible (10 inch model) is outstanding as is the 13 inch Grandma lure. I have caught 30 pound muskies on all of them. Lokes and Slashers also work well in the fall but require higher speeds. 3.5 to 4.5 mph seems to be the ticket for inland fall muskies sometimes a little slower but rarely faster. My new Magnum Rippin Shad is doing real well in Wisconsin on some real big fish. I dont know why it wont do real well here as well. Anyway dont waste a lot of time out over open water unless you are marking lots of bait. Muskies are for the most part edge relating edges of weeds, edges of deep water, points etc. I love trolling weed edges in the fall. I got several of my biggest fish doing that. Hope this helps, Kingfisher
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

St Clair Hound

Post by St Clair Hound » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:51 pm

We got out trolling today on St Clair for a few hours. Water was a little clear in some areas for my liking. Managed to find some milkier stained water and went 3 for 3 . No monsters but a great November day out on the lake. Friday was good too. Got a couple of bigger fish in muddier water.
Lead, follow or get out of the way,
The Big Hound is comin through!

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:38 pm

How about suckers or quick-set rigs. It's fun to watch the suckers get nervous and jerky when mr. muskie get's near.

biiigfish32

fall

Post by biiigfish32 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 am

went out yesterday. I marked some baitfish in about 16 foot of water in a few places, and then some big fish just below them.
Corey P (biiigfish32)