Any Fly Fisherman???

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Wounded Minnow

Any Fly Fisherman???

Post by Wounded Minnow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 am

Anyone here on the site fly fish for Muskies???

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:16 pm

HUH?? Fly fish? Never heard of it.... [smilie=biggrin.gif] Mskyprey just got one on a fly. Where are you, Mskyprey??? Congrats on that pig again!

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:18 pm

There are a few guys here that fish em' with flies... I have a hard enough time catching them with conventional gear though. :roll:

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:36 pm

I am still learning myself, and am new to Muskie fishing this year but would be willing to pass along anything I have learned. I have had 3 talented fly guides tie flies for me this year, and will pass on contacts if you are looking for that as well.

Wounded Minnow

Post by Wounded Minnow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I was really just curious as to what you were using for leader, I hear fluorocarbon can work, but can get bitten through which I don't want to leave a 12" fly in the mouth of a Muskie for many reasons. I hear Cortland has some stuff called Toothy Critter or something like that and you can tie knots with it, but they can't bite through it. Anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks

Larry Porter

Post by Larry Porter » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:19 am

I have fly-fished for a few decades for toothies, and I am still searching for the best leader. I had a huge northern bite through 40-lb hard mono at boatside on Lake Bemidji many years ago, so I can't use mono anymore. Is flourocarbon different? Probably. But for now, I use 20- or 30-lb. plastic-coated stranded wire twisted and melted on the fly end, and nail-knotted on the leader end. I am open to other methods though.

Wounded Minnow

Post by Wounded Minnow » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:16 am

Well I was told 40# Fluoro would do the trick, a few days ago that proved to be false as I lost a good fish boatside when he chewed through the 40# Fluoro. Felt bad because he was left with a 12" fly in his mouth, he probably has shaken it by now, but still sucks to leave one in them.

I have read about this Toothy Critter stuff by Cortland, you are supposed to be able to tie regular knots with it and it's supposed to be nearly invisible under water, made with stainless steel so they shouldn't be able to bite through it. I will give it a shot, if I hook another one anytime soon, will let you know how it works out.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:43 am

If flouro is even going to be considered don't go less than 130. Tyger leader or Cortlands version is the best choice.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 pm

I used a Chad Sandy trolling leader with slight mod on the end I tied direct to the fly. The only issue I had with the leader after I boated the fish was I noticed a slight abrasion on the leader. I had another fish all the way to the boat Wednesday night, no nicks but the fish was hooked with the aft hook only. Good stuff Chad.

jb10

Post by jb10 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:19 pm

I use 60 fluoro and have never been bitten off. I do re-tie after some fish but have caught many musky on the fly and not have had a problem yet. I highly recommend using a fluoro leader especially if you are fishing in clear water. I am a strong believer that my catch rates have gone up since switching to a fluorocarbon leader.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:58 am

jb10 wrote:I use 60 fluoro and have never been bitten off.
But you will. Why risk it?

If flouro is nearly invisible to the fish why would it matter if you use 60 or 130? I had one fish bite through 90# like it wasn't even there. After that I vowed to never again use flouro lighter than 130 and to always use wire when fishing a lure that could be inhaled. 5' of 60# flouro ending in 10" of 60# Tyger leader would work great.

Even if it might help someone catch more fish it isn't worth killing a single fish because a lure/fly caused that fish to starve. If I always fished somewhere like St Clair I might have a different attitude but for many of the inland lakes killing one fish might be a significant percentage of the fish that size.

I may be called a tree hugger but, in my opinion, the fisheries needs should always come first and not the anglers needs to catch fish.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

sabbatoy

fly leader

Post by sabbatoy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Been away for a while and this is kinda late, but I have been using tyger wire for my limited fly fishing forays. Seems to work good, just no fish to verify it for me. I have used tyger wire for conventional muskie fishing and it has worked well..Scott
"You might beat the wrap, but you can't beat the ride"....KCSD