I know its kinda early but...

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

biiigfish32

I know its kinda early but...

Post by biiigfish32 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Ive been thinking about early season muskie tactics. Will muskies move into shallow water early?
Corey P (biiigfish32)

Jim tenHaaf

Re: I know its kinda early but...

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:54 pm

biiigfish32 wrote:Ive been thinking about early season muskie tactics. Will muskies move into shallow water early?
Wow!! Not just a little early, Cory! LOL!! Muskies move into very shallow water to spawn. They will be taking care of that business during our closed season. The females usually come & go from the shallows, while the males will remain there for a little while longer. Last season on opening day, my brother caught a 37"er in about 1.5' of water.

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

You may want to think about heading to IN, KY or (God forbid) Ohio to take a shot at them earlier in the season. Early Spring you can look up in the shallows and throw small twitch baits.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Corey K

Post by Corey K » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:31 pm

If there are good numbers of pike present maybe they won't be quite so shallow?

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:29 pm

They still might be in the shallows despite the pike, to either munch on one or do the wild thing and maybe create tigers?

biiigfish32

lures

Post by biiigfish32 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:20 pm

what would be the best lures for opening day then?
Corey P (biiigfish32)

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:32 pm

The general rule of thumb is small & erratic. Downsize everything. Small bucktails, small minnowbaits/twitchbaits, etc.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 pm

I'll be in Indiana on April 15. Hopefully I can start my season on a high note.

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:46 am

There is a definite move to the shallows during the early season that you should try to take advantage of. The tricky part is its not like they will be there 100% constantly for some given period in the spring. They are going to be in and out of the shallows in pre-spawn, during the spawn, and for a while after. They are variably catchable during the pre- and post-, and generally not much right at spawn. But different fish are spawning at different times, so there is always a chance for a biter. Weather does play a different role in this period, I think. Warming trends with sunshine can definitely be a boost. But my best days for fishing these shallows have one important thing in common- NO WIND. You guessed it- that is so that you can sight fish most effectively. That is how we have caught most of these kind of muskies is by spotting a shadow on the bottom, or a moving 'log' or whatever, they will do a lot of cruising at this time- just circling the lake's shoreline like a pack of sharks! Sight fishing is a RIOT!!! And a what a rush when you have that 4 footer tracking your bait down on the sand!...

The old standbys are true as Jim stated- I suggest small stuff only for these skinny water muskies. Max 6" twitchbaits (Jakes, baby shallow raiders, grandmas) these are deadly. These will sometimes crush a fast erratic twitched bait- start there. But if they are only following and not commiting (common), then go to a bait that suspends or slowly sinks and give them lots of pauses and time to think about it with real subtle twitches. I have even had fish pick a dead-sticked bait right up off the bottom! You can of course go to some kind of jig or tub or something too, but it seems like the quick-hopping, quick diving to the bottom baits have not worked at all for me. I need to try just crawling these along the bottom without lifting I think though. But, I don't know what that is supposed to look like? The fish really seem to respond to a dying action of something that really looks like a fish best.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:26 pm

ive used old reaper tails before when sight fishing and ive watched a muskie circle the reaper jig probably 50 times before he picked it up

biiigfish32

yep

Post by biiigfish32 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

I was doing a little bit a research and it said that that reef hawg that you gave me Jim works well in shallow early season fishing
Corey P (biiigfish32)

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Anything could really work early season, it is just this is the time of year where smaller baits will get more looks and bites, just depends where you locate fish.

Jim tenHaaf

Re: yep

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:19 pm

biiigfish32 wrote:I was doing a little bit a research and it said that that reef hawg that you gave me Jim works well in shallow early season fishing
That was actually a sledge, Cory, and I'm really not sure if the action is the same as a Reef Hawg. Dive/rise jerkbaits are very succussful in the springtime. But I classify springtime up to around 70 degree water temps. It seems to me, a Reef Hawg may be a little too fast for the slow matabolized muskie in 40* water. A weighted one may do the job, as it will suspend more.

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:39 pm

I begin fishing as soon as the season opens and yes the fish can be so shallow they are barley under water a coule feet from shore. I target the warmest water i can find, creek mouths and shallow springs are golden spots on spots. I usually throw jig/creatures right on the shore edge and drag them into the water. Single blade Raddog spinnerbaits and Hirsch's Ghosttail bucktails work for me, too. Once the baby geese are hatched, it's time for the Topraider.

Some years ago I watched the Linders struggle to move early season pike in shallow bays up north. None of the pike standbyes worked (spoons, cranks, or spinnerbaits) and finally one of the guys trys a simple Texas rigged big rubber worm. The soft bait worked slow catches every big fish they can see in the shallows from the boat.

biiigfish32

sledge

Post by biiigfish32 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:08 pm

yep your right, sledge. Lookes kinda like a reef hawg. Im probily going to campau on the opener cuz its a 5min drive, an Im thinking about working some rocks just because they heat up faster. I know thats a tactic for bass but I dont know about muskies
Corey P (biiigfish32)