Great Lakes Muskellunge

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm going along with Duke's argument here, but what age are the fish going to be when inserted with the PIT tags? I think Duke is saying we are going to waste a ton on PIT tags if we insert them into fish at a young age as only a small percentage of fish make it a decent size.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:06 pm

jasonvkop wrote:...what age are the fish going to be when inserted with the PIT tags? I think Duke is saying we are going to waste a ton on PIT tags if we insert them into fish at a young age as only a small percentage of fish make it a decent size.
They will be PIT tagged as fall fingerlings - so basically as 8-12"ers. PIT tagging had a history of higher mortality in the past, especially out west with salmoniods. But they've really figured it out pretty well nowadays. Still some room for operator error in handling small fish, but I'd guess that losses will be minimal. If the fish tech really knows what they are doing then fin clipping or freeze banding would be good, but our crew doesn't have much experience with that unfortunately. And because they are so panicked about genetics, PIT tags are the best route to ensure no screw ups. Well, actually I guess that isn't true...a fresh broodstock lake would eliminate screw ups from the get go.
Bass solo take one. "na, neeeeeeeer...n-ne, ner-neer-ner-neer-ner-neer..."

dlw681

Post by dlw681 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:20 am

So no eggs will be taken from Thorn, this year?
let'em go to grow

Dale

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:41 am

dlw681 wrote:So no eggs will be taken from Thorn, this year?
That's what they're saying.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 am

Jason's got it.

No concern with the tagging being the cause of mortality. Although... you know what I bet the handling during the process might do in a few right off the bat, but I doubt enough to matter.

I understand the reasons, but it would still be great to just start fresh with a new lake! But using Thornapple will provide some entertainment (at least for a geek like me) when they begin pulling out some dark green, faintly marked GLS fish. I'm betting some biologists might be saying "I thought these were spotted fish!!???"

dlw681

Post by dlw681 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Duke, I can't wait for that day...
let'em go to grow

Dale

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:58 am

Duke wrote:Jason's got it.

No concern with the tagging being the cause of mortality. Although... you know what I bet the handling during the process might do in a few right off the bat, but I doubt enough to matter.
Ohhh...I see. Yeah, that is one helluva valid concern. I suppose the temporary PIT tagging of turtles, hungry fish and herons probably isn't the best use of fisheries' bucks!
Bass solo take one. "na, neeeeeeeer...n-ne, ner-neer-ner-neer-ner-neer..."

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:57 am

Pete wrote:
Duke wrote:Jason's got it.

Ohhh...I see. Yeah, that is one helluva valid concern. I suppose the temporary PIT tagging of turtles, hungry fish and herons probably isn't the best use of fisheries' bucks!
Yes I would agree, there's no need to throw away a thousand dollars.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Dale Hey what is up man!!!

You know we musky fishermen have always have the solution. So if they are married to Thorn for the GLS broodstock, all we have to do is net all the fish out and do a nice and easy adult transplant. Then the GLS can go in without competing with the established NMUS hogs!!!! viola. In fact I'll bet we could even supply all the manpower- DNR just lend the nets and the trucks! Good times

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm

there is plenty of room for them at Hudson!! :oops:

dlw681

Post by dlw681 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Duke & Pete,
This in a few years will be very interesting to say the least... in my lamie opion they should start a new broodstock body of water! Lets sneak them into Gun.....
let'em go to grow

Dale

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Murphy :evil:
MuskyDan

john c

Post by john c » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Jim tenHaaf wrote:Not a really big lake by any means at only 350 acres. We should be sure to note the already unsatisfied people who fish there so in 15 yrs they can't blame it on the muskies. http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/michi ... bear-lake/
Great point.

...Note the significant walleye stockings over the last 25 years - ugh.

I suppose an existing spearing-ban trumps all.

john c

Post by john c » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:08 pm

john c wrote:...Note the significant walleye stockings over the last 25 years - ugh.
Not that there's anything wrong with walleye - just the potential for misinformed walleye fishermen to heap blame upon another species...

dlw681

Post by dlw681 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:16 am

john c wrote:
john c wrote:...Note the significant walleye stockings over the last 25 years - ugh.
Not that there's anything wrong with walleye - just the potential for misinformed walleye fishermen to heap blame upon another species...

Here we go again.......................
let'em go to grow

Dale