Wanted: Rod/Reel combo

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

MattG_braith

Wanted: Rod/Reel combo

Post by MattG_braith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Not sure if this is the right section to post this in or not but...

I have a friend who is looking to get into muskie fishing and is looking to buy a used rod and reel for a novice. He does not want to spend too much on a brand new set up so he would like to find a somewhat cheap set up to start with for now. Just wondering if anyone has a 1pc heavy rod preferable at least 7 1/2' and/or a RH reel they are looking to sell for a reasonable price. He would like to fish with me at The Bruce in a couple weeks so he would like to buy the rod and reel before that weekend comes.

Thanks.
Matt

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Matt - Let me check to see what I have and what I can part with right now. I may have a couple Okuma 8'6" w/ Akena reels that I could let go this late in the season.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:46 pm

If Will doesn't have anything then I have an 8'6 Heavy Gander Mountain rod that I could part with for pretty cheap. I used it for a year and is a good rod, but now is just sitting in my basement so I could definitely let it go for a newbie musky guy.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks alot guys, let me know how much you want and Ill get the money from him. He is a guy I work with in Grand Rapids so he or I can meet you anywhere in the area to make the purchase if that works with you.
Matt

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:22 pm

If he doesn't have much experience casting for muskies you might consider loading the reel with heavy mono as opposed to the MUCH more expensive superlines like PowerPro. Recall that the less line on the spool the faster it spins as you cast, and the faster the spin the more prone to backlashes. Then as he experiences bird nests and has to cut line to untangle the reel, and maybe refill the spool to "full", he won't be spending so much. After he's learned the basics switch to full spool of superline.

Just a thought.