Hamlin Lake Reports

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

pkellner31

Hamlin Lake Reports

Post by pkellner31 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:27 am

Has anyone been fishing and having success on Hamlin Lake in Mason County?

windknot

Post by windknot » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:16 am

I have hit it hard twice this month with no luck.Even stowed the musky gear and fished for eyes and smallmouth.
That didn't work out either.
Duck hunters were busy!!!!!

Windknot
Love'm & leave'm

vano397

Post by vano397 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:45 am

I talked to two guys that work with my dad (yeah I know long story) who ice fish out there a couple times a week. They claim to have caught two that were legal last winter, and they kept them, and they were full of crappies... So, I asked for pics to make sure, and since there were specs in their bellies they are the devils so putting them back apparently is no longer an option. I mentioned that too many guys put fish back under the ice that aren't going to make it, and predators don't passs up easy meals, so I wouldn't get too worked up about a few specs in their bellies, but I doubt it got through [smilie=brickwall.gif]
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

pkellner31

Post by pkellner31 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:18 am

I have hit it twice this fall and saw one muskie. I did get one nice pike on a bucktail along with severral smaller ones. As many as they have stocked it should be OK even if some are not putting back. We need more muskie waters.

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Talked to a land owner (lifelong resident and experienced fisherman) again last week...he claims that they have been killing them, literally, in the winter by spear and a few by tip up. A couple of incendental catches through the summer, but most of the sport has been 32-40" fat 'skis taken in the shanty to date. He and his extended family has their fingers on the pulse of that fishery and know when a perch over 8" is caught so I have come beileve him. Hopefully mostly hearsay, but I doubt it...
Bass solo take one. "na, neeeeeeeer...n-ne, ner-neer-ner-neer-ner-neer..."

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Pete, Your friend is correct. I get the same reports from Ludington. The local DNR COs need to use volunteer undercover spotters and start clamping down hard on the violators. Unfortunately Ludington is very much like Montague where the biggest local violators are the role model heroes, and DNR law supporters are threatened and/or banned from the local sport shop. I've had to file several assault charges and experienced hundreds of dollars vandalism against my truck and property because I support the DNR. The point is to be careful when dealing with the local violators.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Hamilton Reef wrote:Pete, Your friend is correct. I get the same reports from Ludington. The local DNR COs need to use volunteer undercover spotters and start clamping down hard on the violators. Unfortunately Ludington is very much like Montague where the biggest local violators are the role model heroes, and DNR law supporters are threatened and/or banned from the local sport shop. I've had to file several assault charges and experienced hundreds of dollars vandalism against my truck and property because I support the DNR. The point is to be careful when dealing with the local violators.
Bummer. Same guy also warned me of getting too zealous about trying to put a stop to it...mentioned the entrenched violator culture up there, the 'above the law' mentality/reality, and reprecussions of slashed tires and possibly worse to those tipping off the law like you said. Arg...actually sounds worse than the situation around here on the Titt chain. Unreal!
Bass solo take one. "na, neeeeeeeer...n-ne, ner-neer-ner-neer-ner-neer..."

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:05 am

We need to be positive about Hamlin Lake where due. Hamlin Lake is not hopeless. Hamlin Lake has great potential to be a muskie tourist destination. The Hamlin Lake Association (HLA) is #1 supporter of the Mason County Walleye Association (MCWA) and we raise the walleye for several counties to help the DNR. At the same time the HLA and MCWA are both supporters of the musky stocking for Hamlin Lake and they do appreciate the work MMA does for the musky program. I'm on the board of the MCWA and we actually explored the idea of using our pond in the off season to somehow help the muskie program. That turned out not to be feasible, but really, how often do you hear of a walleye association willing to help a muskie program that much. I believe this partnership of a lake association, a walleye association, a muskie alliance, and the DNR is very rare and a darn cool model we need to promote statewide. With that I suggest we open another topic thread this winter on how we can take advantage of the positive support for the Hamlin Lake musky program to overcome the challenges we have with the local violators. I believe it can be done, but it will take time and serious effort.

pkellner31

Hamlin muskies

Post by pkellner31 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Heading out to Hamlin Friday. Any new data

Also. Would you recommend thornapple vs. Murray. Fished murray, several follows, but never fished thornapple

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:33 pm

More likely to get action this time of year on Murray IMO.

pkellner31

Hamlin Lake Reports

Post by pkellner31 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 am

Scott,

I see you are located in Holland. I too am from holland. Let me know if you ever want to connect to chase some muskies.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 am

We have several members from holland. Always looking for people to fish with!

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Sadly the feedback I have been getting is the same kill, kill and kill...

Does not bode well.

Kevin
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Cyberlunge wrote:Sadly the feedback I have been getting is the same kill, kill and kill...

Does not bode well.

Kevin
If that really is the case, I hope no more stockings are wasted there.
Rick

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 pm

ricky sox wrangler wrote:
Cyberlunge wrote:Sadly the feedback I have been getting is the same kill, kill and kill...

Does not bode well.

Kevin
If that really is the case, I hope no more stockings are wasted there.
You will never get 100% of the people who don't have that mentality. Even if there are some fish killed, I don't think it's a waste. That's a lot of water with awesome potential. And the possibility of another lake with natural reproduction. I say keep stocking until it can stand on its own feet naturally.