Question about Leaders

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Nick S

Question about Leaders

Post by Nick S » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Generally, what is the least ammount of lbs. one could get away with in leader size? Is too much never enough? What lenght does one prefer? Do most guys make their own, or just buy em'? Thanks Nick

ERJake

Post by ERJake » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:59 pm

I recently started building my own I use 80-120lb Fluorocarbon. For casting you don’t want anything longer the 12" because it can cause problems fowling your lures in the air. Trolling is a different story I've seen guys run 4-6' leaders trolling. The single strand leaders are ideal for the glider style baits like the phantoms because it helps with the side to side motion. These leaders are normally like 200lb because they are just a solid piece of wire.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Nick, here is a little more info.

http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/f ... php?t=2062

You'll get different info from different guys for a variety of applications. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to leaders and you can never go too big.

Also a search of "leaders" in the search tool brings up a lot of threads on this topic with a lot of great info.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:19 am

If you want some great leaders get in touch with Chad Sandy, you can't go wrong.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 am

I use a both flouro and wire leaders. The wire is 124# and the flouro is 150#. I go through at least 50 of each during the season. I tend to use wire more often than flouro but prefer flouro on some lures (double tens and spinnerbaits). In casting situations I would steer clear of flouro under 130# but flouro in the 80-100 is fine for trolling when there will not be any contact with hard cover (rocks or timber). The other area where I don't trust flouro is with rubber baits as fish can inhale these, even pounders, and can cut the heaviest flouro with their teeth. The fish in my avatar had a pounder completely inhaled including about 4" of the leader, I don't believe I would have landed that fish if I was using a flouro leader.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Nick S

Post by Nick S » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Sorry, I didn't answer the question about length. I like mine a little longer and tie everything 16-18" long.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Use Chad's leaders, set the hook on I thought was a fish one day, not. Big tree branch, got everything back after un-hooking it and all I did was turn that leader into a slinky! :roll:

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Will Schultz wrote:The fish in my avatar had a pounder completely inhaled including about 4" of the leader, I don't believe I would have landed that fish if I was using a flouro leader.
I am not convinced...I definitely need more details about your avatar fish before I believe you lol [smilie=applause.gif]
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm

I watched a very interesting Larry Dalhberg show the other day where he tied his superline to a nylon-coated wire leader. He was twitching a big minnow-shaped rubber bait back to the boat. He said that the elimination of the weight of swivels and snaps made a big difference in his success with that bait.

I couldn't find the video but here's Mr. D with a tied-on leader using a glide bait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W_BhQbDkdo

Myself I use homemade leaders: 9" 240# straight wire for gliders, various weights of braided wire for jig/creatures and quick-sets, and 12" 80# flouro for everything else. Some folks would argue that I should kick my 80# up to or over 100# and they might be right.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:13 pm

Ranger wrote:Some folks would argue that I should kick my 80# up to or over 100# and they might be right.
[smilie=wave.gif] Me!

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:02 pm

his swim bait that he used was called that mr. wiggly, and i can imagine it would help that bait a lot since it doesn't weigh very much, and is similar to something like banjo minnow in action

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:45 pm

I am not convinced...I definitely need more details about your avatar fish before I believe you lol
He changed his pick right after that post. So he has two stories to tell...
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...