Rod selection.

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

LonLB

Rod selection.

Post by LonLB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:28 am

Time for me to face it....I've been out of the game for years now. Things need to be updated, and I need to add to what I have.
So I need some new rods.

One VERY important thing for me is being able to fit in the new rod box when I modify the deck of the boat this winter.

So that leaves me looking at the Telescoping Tackle Industries rods. Last I knew guys like them, and had no issues. Is that still the case?
Does anyone else make a telescoping rod?

I'm thinking three rods would do:
A blade rod The 9' MH 1-6oz telescoping rod With a Saltist 20 or 30
(with this combo throw smaller inlines and spinnerbaits?)

A Rod for big rubber baits: I'm not sure. Should I be looking at the 3-12oz lure weight "Mag Heavy" XH or the "Mega Heavy" XXH 8-36oz lure weight?
And what reel?
I use Abu/Pflueger for Bass fishing but all my musky reels that I use are Abu 5500 and 6500's.
(Frankly I'd like to try the Calcutta TE's but not sure switching over to them entirely is in the budget)

Then what is the 3rd rod I should buy? I'm thinking I should pick up a jerkbait rod....Since my last one was broken and not replaced.

How long of a rod are you guys using for casting summer time crankbaits?

For spring time work I often used a heavy bass flippin' stick.

I've been out of the loop long enough that I may as well be considered a total newbie. Last time I spent any significant time on the water for Musky was in 06'

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:41 pm

For what it is worth I have a few Okuma telescoping rods and love them all!

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Scott Williams wrote:For what it is worth I have a few Okuma telescoping rods and love them all!

I'm not set on TI rods. I really don't know in fact. I only know I would like to find telescoping rods.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:04 pm

W e bought two. One broke the other is fine. We just shortened the one that broke. James offered to replace it and we didn't even have to send to old one back. Ours were the 9 foot telescoping ex heavy but not the heaviest one he sells. I like them fine. Not bad for the money. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:15 pm

I've had no problems with my Okuma telescoping. I have a 9'3 XH. The only issue I have is that it's a little heavy. But, it still makes casting a Pounder for 8 hrs a lot easier.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm

I have two Okuma's, a 9'3" and a 8'6" XH. They have both been good rods although I like the 8'6" better. I agree with Jim my only complaint would be the 9'3 is a little heavy.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Corey K

Post by Corey K » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:25 pm

The new Revo Toro 60's will be out in September, they will have the 5:4 gear ratio again! Slightly less than a TE and more comfortable to fish with, and just as durable. I wouldn't bother with a Saltist IMO unless, you want to use one for a copper reel for Salmon....

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:04 pm

With the new Shimano reels replacing the TE line you may be able to get a deal on a used TE and I would watch for them in the Fall.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Will Schultz

Re: Rod selection.

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:13 pm

The Okuma and TI rods are both good rods for the money. Be careful with rod ratings though, and not just with Okuma and TI, there isn't an industry standard. A rating of 4-12oz lures with one company may be capable of throwing 16oz lures while another of the same rating is really better for lures 8oz or less.

For double 10's and 13's you'll like a stiffer rod for these, the stiffer rod will cause less fatigue and improve figure eights dramatically.

If at all possible get your hands on some rods and cast them. If you see me on the water I would be happy to show you the St Croix Legend Tournament rods equipped with Okuma reels.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.