Gun Lake Public Meeting

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 am

Just a reminder to PLEASE COME!!!

Water is hot down here, take a couple hours of that would-be fishing time and invest it in the future, and in a fishery with great potential.

The DNR puts a lot of stake in the feedback it gets from the public- this is your opportunity to be heard. Even if you don't want to speak up you can still come to be counted- I can almost guarantee they will do some sort of show of hands support/oppose.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:24 pm

To quote a friend in DNR-Fisheries I talked to this week about the Gun public meeting:

"hope you can make it and bring a couple hundred fishing buddies"

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:13 am

I am excited to hear about this at the meeting tonight. The original note posted by Will mentions plans for habitat rehabilitation. Are there any specific plans to work on possibly recreating areas or enhancing areas in the lake where they are able to spawn successfully? Definitely something we (MMA) might be able to help with down the road. Is that something that will be talked about tonight or is this meeting mostly just to get the public opinion on raising the MSL and starting a GLS stocking program?
Matt

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:06 am

MattG_braith wrote:I am excited to hear about this at the meeting tonight. The original note posted by Will mentions plans for habitat rehabilitation. Are there any specific plans to work on possibly recreating areas or enhancing areas in the lake where they are able to spawn successfully? Definitely something we (MMA) might be able to help with down the road. Is that something that will be talked about tonight or is this meeting mostly just to get the public opinion on raising the MSL and starting a GLS stocking program?
Im all for habitat restoratioin.
Is this possibly related to the dam? or is that something they expect hurt the original population?
oh and Ill be there with a buddy whose inlaws live on the lake. He caught a tiger a few weeks ago, and is kinda excited about it.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:38 pm

I have family who just bought a place on Gun lake recently too. Wish i could make it, but i work.

bails

Post by bails » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I will be there also, flag football was cancelled due to the heat so I'm there. Hey Matt Braith wanna car pool? I sent you a message with my number call me if you want we live like five minutes from each other I could pick you up. Either way ill be there gun lake is close to me and I've fished it before, would love to see more lakes with muskies around Barry county lets do gull lake next!
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:21 pm

bails wrote: would love to see more lakes with muskies around Barry county lets do gull lake next!
Not a chance. LOL. Gull's got some pretty big Pike. Heard of some up to 46". The suspended muskie fishery there would be sweet though!

bails

Post by bails » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:41 pm

lol I know but that would be so amazing. we can dream right??? my mom always said to dream, my dad said to get real and grow up lol... ill still dream when I can
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Jim tenHaaf wrote:
bails wrote: would love to see more lakes with muskies around Barry county lets do gull lake next!
Not a chance. LOL. Gull's got some pretty big Pike. Heard of some up to 46". The suspended muskie fishery there would be sweet though!
Gull is a phenomenal pike lake, by far my favorite/best ice fishing lake. We slammed the pike a couple weeks back trolling over 100ft of water for lake trout out there.

It's killing me but I can't make the meeting tonight. I wish I could send a proxy.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 pm

GREAT meeting tonight- big thanks to all who came! It was a good, lively discussion that took the entire 2 hours.

At the conclusion, each person in attendance was asked to give their stance on the whether to stock and manage Gun for muskies, or not.

The most often repeated phrase was "I came in here tonight dead set against muskies, and now I'm on the fence." Some even went a step further. Just for the record, the final tally was 14 in favor, 3 opposed, and 5 on the fence.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:04 am

Awesome, Lets hope 14 is enough.
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:34 am

Awesome, thanks to all who made it there. Im real sorry I couldn't go to try to help out.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

vano397

Post by vano397 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:25 am

I was very worried at first when you could tell most of the crowd was older lake residents who remembered the social issues created in the 80's... and the DNR guys couldn't even get thru the first slide of the presentation without condescending remarks, and hints of opposition.
But, like Duke said, there was some excellent discussion, and a lot of guys who were adamantly opposed are now in favor or "on the fence". and the guys that were "on the fence" will be in favor after a current lake survey is done that shows imbalance in the lake.
I think one of the best comments of the night, was also a bit of a challenge. The guy that set up the meeting location closed the meeting basically begging for more education... I think that falls on us [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:15 am

What a great meeting! I cannot believe how many minds we swayed. Big thx to Duke & Pete Lebaron, and Will Schultz for all the data provided

To show more support for this, everybody take a second and sign this online petition.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gun- ... anagement/