6 foot musky in gun lake!!

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

muskaholic

6 foot musky in gun lake!!

Post by muskaholic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm having a garage sale and have some musky baits for sale and a guy starts telling me a story about a 6 foot musky him and his dad caught in robins bay. Pulled all the line off their reel twice, they finally caught up to it going full speed with their pontoon boat an hour later!! It was way too big to net so they just cut the line because they didn't have a pistol. Supposedly its still in there and its so big now its making trenches in the shallows as it swims along!!! I think I'm gonna go try to catch it, anyone wanna go with me? I'll make sure I bring my pistol too!
It was almost impossible to not tell this moron what a b.s.er he was and how full of s**t he is. It was an amazing story and an even better story teller. I love talking to morons just to hear their stories.
What's the best you've heard?
always practice C.P.R.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 pm

There are so many...
I think my favorite is still the story of the muskie that was biting the heads off the ducks, geese and swans in Murray Lake. A lady that was feeding the waterfowl called the DNR about all the headless birds. The DNR came out and told her it was a muskie, they eventually netted the muskie. Turns out the fish was 84" long and the DNR moved the fish to Thornapple Lake.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Like Will said, too many to count and I haven't even been at this anywhere near as long as him or many guys. I'm actually shocked when I hear a non muskie fisherman comment on a musky they saw and they don't claim it to be 60"+. There isn't many or any other fish species that brings about more ridiculous stories than muskies.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm

My favorite started out as a garden variety dog-eating musky hanging around the park in Thornapple. But after several dogs, the musky attacked a human swimmer, which finally got the attention of the DNR (and presumably Chief Brody). The DNR came in and electroshocked the musky, which also was 84" by the way. They were forced to destroy the fish because "once they get a taste for human blood, they don't give it up"...

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Heard one once about a guy catching the world record on 8the lb flouro and having to lasso it to get it in... oh wait that one happened
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

muskaholic

Post by muskaholic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Yea Vano, that sounds like a fish story!!
always practice C.P.R.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:33 pm

That one moron on fbook that added a few of us.. Went thru some of his pics and he claimed he and his friend consistently catch 60+ inch fish out of the flat river every fall.. One of his pics mentioned a 59 and a 61 caught in the same day out of the flat, which were obviously murray fish.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 pm

yeah he had pictures of about a 34" fish which he ate of course and was going on and on about a 73" he caught but the pictures were on his mom's camera or other such nonsense.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:08 pm

I once heard of a "pro" on the upper chain with a boat wrapped with a giant muskie head who caught a 60"er in front of the launch on one of the lakes. The guy pointed out exactly where she was caught. I have spies everywhere Will!
Heard one once about a guy catching the world record on 8the lb flouro and having to lasso it to get it in... oh wait that one happened
Haha yeah that.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

tundrawalker00

six footer

Post by tundrawalker00 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:52 am

My great uncle used to tell a story of hooking fish on a rural Iron County lake that he said was too big to get in the boat. It was one of the colder lake trout lakes out there, though.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:27 am

I have heard my fair share of "fish" stories as well. Matter of fact, I just got into an argument last week with some hicks that claimed the 20-22 pound salmon I was looking right at weighed 40 pounds "if the guts were still in it". Really,... 40 pounds?,..40 FN pounds! Not even close, although it was a nice fish.
I do hold on to one long,long shot explanation for a couple of these mysterious fish encounters though. Sturgeon! Thorn and Gun could possibly,maybe, probably not, but ya never know, have one or two of these fish swimming around in them. People could think they are muskies because it may be a "muskie" lake. Or it could drag them around for a few seconds before snapping their line. I know its very doubtful, but yet it is possible.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Chris Musselman wrote:I once heard of a "pro" on the upper chain with a boat wrapped with a giant muskie head who caught a 60"er in front of the launch on one of the lakes. The guy pointed out exactly where she was caught. I have spies everywhere Will!
What?
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I'll explain when we fish long...
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

muskyMobes

Post by muskyMobes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:01 am

After a long day of catching no fish at thornapple, a guy at the car pool on the east beltline saw my boat and long story made short told me about a musky in thornapple eating German shepherd puppies untill the electroshocked the whole lake to kill it. I felt like electroshocking him at that point.

esoxfly

Post by esoxfly » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Apparently, there's a 72" muskie that hangs out in the Moot every spring without fail. Surprising, as the story comes from a very educated and competitive bass fisherman that knows his stuff and has caught decent muskies in the past...yet swears the fish is as large as he is tall. He's not a BS'er and he's very knowledgeable, yet he SWEARS it's 6' long.

Fish of legend.