looking for help and advice for fishing Budd Lake

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

muskiemailman

looking for help and advice for fishing Budd Lake

Post by muskiemailman » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Hello all I am planning a trip to the folks place on Houghton lake in July after the 4th and wanted to try out Budd Lake while I was there. Never fished there before and was gonna bring up my casting and flyfishing gear. any advice or tips to attack this lake I would be very greatful. Thank you and tight lines all.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am

Three's not much to this tiny lake and you could fish the whole thing in a few hours. The water is usually clear-ish and the fish act accordingly, usually lots of follows and few biters if conditions aren't good. You'll see shallow movements with low light and the fish moving to the weedline with brighter sky. Oddly enough, they do suspend in the main basin and it's always worth a look out there regardless of conditions. The biggest fish (45"+) I've caught there have been suspendos, up high over the deepest water.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

treeman

Post by treeman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:24 pm

When it was hot with high surface water temp mid summer last year my boat had the best luck working the deeper areas with Bondy's and jigs after the sun got up. It's a fun lake to fish and if there are active fish you can usually find a couple since the lake is small.

Below is some video of a 3 fish day on Budd we had early October. It's not gonna win any awards but it was fun to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGwDqrAf_rk
***It's good for the soul but hard on the nerves.***

muskiemailman

Post by muskiemailman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Will Schultz wrote:Three's not much to this tiny lake and you could fish the whole thing in a few hours. The water is usually clear-ish and the fish act accordingly, usually lots of follows and few biters if conditions aren't good. You'll see shallow movements with low light and the fish moving to the weedline with brighter sky. Oddly enough, they do suspend in the main basin and it's always worth a look out there regardless of conditions. The biggest fish (45"+) I've caught there have been suspendos, up high over the deepest water.
thanks for the help....good things I have contour lines to follow

muskiemailman

Post by muskiemailman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 pm

treeman wrote:When it was hot with high surface water temp mid summer last year my boat had the best luck working the deeper areas with Bondy's and jigs after the sun got up. It's a fun lake to fish and if there are active fish you can usually find a couple since the lake is small.

Below is some video of a 3 fish day on Budd we had early October. It's not gonna win any awards but it was fun to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGwDqrAf_rk
Good video looks like you guys had fun.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Love it when you see the white bondy move sideways around 1:50
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:36 pm

bondy? That looks like the lemon head suick he was using earlier.. i was gonna say lucky that suick didnt get buried in ur hand at the end of the video, but didn't notice u cut that hook til i rewatched it

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:40 pm

swanezy wrote:bondy? That looks like the lemon head suick he was using earlier..
[smilie=sign-yeahthat.gif]

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Jim tenHaaf wrote:
swanezy wrote:bondy? That looks like the lemon head suick he was using earlier..
[smilie=sign-yeahthat.gif]
Looks like a hawg seeker bait to me...
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Close enough just knew it looked like some form of dive and rise

treeman

Post by treeman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Yup Hawg seeker. Video is from October...Bondy was my suggestion for his trip in July. I've cut my share of hooks out of people too :grin:
***It's good for the soul but hard on the nerves.***

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Guess I wasn't watching the closely lol
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

BMF

Post by BMF » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Cool video