Spring Banquet and a fifty incher

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Lucky Dog

Spring Banquet and a fifty incher

Post by Lucky Dog » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:02 am

At the last spring banquet, I was lucky enough to win the fishing trip that was donated by Chris Mahan of Castin St. Clair Guide Service. http://www.castinstclair.com/Musky.html

I'd like to start by thanking Chris not only for supporting the MMA by generously donating the trip, but also for giving me an absolutely spectacular day on the water. If you are looking for a St. Clair guide, I would recommend Chris without hesitation, and the fact that he supports the club is just icing on the cake.

Also thanks to the organizers and behind the scenes folks that put on the banquet. I know there is a lot of work involved that many times is over looked by all.

Now on with the report.

We had a beautiful cloudless, windless day, for most of the day. Glassy calm waters were probably not the best conditions but Chris worked hard, and did not give up on the fish.
Early in the day I had a fish on that gave 3-4 good head shakes and then was off just a quick. I'm sure it was the next world record fish, but unfortunately for me she is still out there for another lucky angler to catch.
Then the follows started, we saw 6 fish that gave our baits good looks, but just would not commit. It had to be frustrating for Chris, but for this novice musky angler, the follows alone made for an exciting day. One of the fish was a giant that had the seasoned musky fisherman Chris excited. I could tell by his excitement, that I had just seen a true giant.
About three thirty, the breeze picked up (a little) and the fish seemed to react to it.
The first fish that we put in the boat was this 50" beauty, my second musky ever, and my personal best.

The second fish of the day came just a short time later. It was a 48" beast that took my bait at the boat side just as I was beginning my figure eight. I've got to say that seeing that fish follow, then come up with it's mouth open wide may have been the single most exciting fishing moment I've ever had. And may keep me from ever swimming in St. Clair!
I have to admit that being a beginner, I was probably lucky to get it to the net on a short line while fumbling with drag, and trying to dodge the trolling motor. Pure adrenaline rush, and a smile maker for sure.

Not to be left behind, Chris soon had on a fish that tested my novice netting skills, with some good direction and balance while I tried my best to knock Chris out of the boat, I was able to slip the net under his gorgeous 48 1/2" fish.

A couple release shots to make the day complete.

Thanks for reading, and thanks again to Chris Mahan for a great musky experience and for supporting MMA.
Dennis Gulau

Larry Porter

Post by Larry Porter » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:07 am

Terrific day, gorgeous fish, and great pictures! And I would like to second the thanks to Chris for donating this guided trip to MMA.

JTAspin

Post by JTAspin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:32 am

Wow three great lookin fish....

Fishead

Post by Fishead » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:45 am

Great report Dennis!
My son and I shared the table with you at the banquet. and I was excited for you to get that trip. Congrats on your 50"!!!! Those are truly the fish of a lifetime. [smilie=applause.gif]

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Congrats, you had a great day on the water.

weatherby

Post by weatherby » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Awesome. Sounded like a great trip

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Awesome! Congrats on the great day!
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 am

Great job Dennis! Congrats and a big thanks to Chris!!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Great story, thanks to both of you for supporting MMA!!
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:48 pm

I got the text from Chris about all the big fish being landed. Couldn't wait to see the pics! What a phenomenal day! Congrats! Chris definitely works his tail off to find the fish. Awesome story! Thanks again to Castin' St. Clair Guide Service, and to you as well Dennis!

vano397

Post by vano397 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:55 pm

What a day congrats on the big one [smilie=applause.gif] and thanks to all involved for supporting the club [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:30 am

Awesome day and awesome fish. I love St. Clair pics with that bright blue background behind those bright spotties.
Matt

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:35 pm

What I can't believe every time I see pictures of St. Clair is the color of the water. The only time I've seen water this color was in Hawaii.