Boards on LSC

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Brent Spence

Boards on LSC

Post by Brent Spence » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:23 pm

I'm wondering what you experienced guys use for boards. Are there any real simple boards like the walleye guys use for this without riggers?

Kingfisher

Boards

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Quite a few of our boards running on St Claire. see them at our web site http://www.fishall-lures.com Mike and Shell

kbkrause

Post by kbkrause » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 pm

Are you talking about in-line boards for pulling muskie baits?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.” -- ALDO LEOPOLD

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:51 am

If you're going to do much trolling at all get big boards and a mast. It's well worth the investement and makes life much easier compared to running an inline board.

Check out the boards Kingfisher mentioned, they are REALLY NICE. http://www.fishall-lures.com
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Brent Spence

mast?

Post by Brent Spence » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:55 am

Excellent! Thats what I'm after. Could you elaborate on the mast Will? The trolling i've done is contour trolling 1000 acre lakes. This is all new to me as far as the big water trolling but I want to get into for sure. Will the fish all cedar boards pull a 10" jake/original depth raider @ 6-7 mph?

Thanks guys.....anyone going to the ohio muskie show?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:25 am

Here's a pic of a Big Jon mast. You can find a good selection of masts at Gander Mountain.

Here's some good info about rigging:

http://www.bigjon.com/tips/tips.asp?ContentID=10

Yes, the Fish-all boards will tow the big baits with no problem.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

kbkrause

Post by kbkrause » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:04 pm

That's the mast I use Will. Nice mast.

I use a home made set up boards, I can get you plans if you like. Also, dont forget about your releases. I use these

I seperated them and put a line clip on each one. You can ratchet them down tight for big baits if need be.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.” -- ALDO LEOPOLD

Kingfisher

Bigger is better

Post by Kingfisher » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:40 pm

I have pulled as many as 4-- 9 and 10" baits per side . they pull back a little but stay out as long as you keep moving forwards eh? I can make bigger sets as well like the ones we have running on Chessapeake Bay. Hurricane charters run three sets of our boards on three charterboats over there. These guys pull hardware like Ive never seen. Our magnum sets pull up to three Umbrella rigs per side. Each rig looks like a school of fish with a straggler lagging behind. They use that stuff for stripers. Check out our pro staff reviews . Im getting ready to build a couple of sets next week as I need some new ones for the Queen and I. Kingfisher

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:56 pm

I use inline boads sometime there very conveinent I allways carry them with me. If im trolling i'm useing inline boards You can troll 10 inch jakes on them It is much easyer to carry in line boards than the big boards but on the bigger bait you get some drag on the boards but on the outings I've been on, Ive yet to see or tournaments I've been in big boards out do in lines.
Gabe

FredB

boards/masts..

Post by FredB » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:12 pm

If you have front rails on your boat you can use planar-board reels mounted there OK..and dont need a mast..or maybe try that first before buying/intsalling a mast..(I prefer the rail reels ..sold my mast..tho I admit I dont use boards much unless out on LSC..In-line boards dont make it very well with big baits/fast trolling ..A dipsy diver
is another option for a single line/bait ..There is a sliding version that looks nice and is used by musky guys with success Im told..)

Brent Spence

Post by Brent Spence » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:51 pm

thanks guys!