Leaders

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

sabbatoy

Leaders

Post by sabbatoy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:01 am

Just curious what everyone is using for a basic jerkbait leader or bucktail leader? I pretty much use Terminator leaders or ones I make myself.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:07 am

ditto on the homemade ones!!!
MuskyDan

kbkrause

Post by kbkrause » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:10 pm

What's your homemade one recipe?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.” -- ALDO LEOPOLD

sabbatoy

Post by sabbatoy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:47 pm

I have used the tyger wire with a lot of success, tying instructions are on the package. Either use a split ring or a Berkley snap. Use a good ball bearing swivel on the other end. I have used regular seven strand with sleeves and crimping it with either just a loop for a split ring or snap. I really like the Terminator leaders too. They last a long time too. I was just wondering if anyone has had success with any other brands of leaders.

Slimeball

Post by Slimeball » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:57 pm

I use leaders from thorne bros. with the www.stringease.com stay-lok snaps. never had a failure yet.

Jason

pikerule2

Post by pikerule2 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Make my own, have tried a variety of wire brands/types in the process. Right now I'd have to say single strand titanium is my favorite for all casting, with stay-lok snaps. Had some trouble for a while making good connections with it, it's so smooth even 2 sleeves on the connections seemed risky, resorted to sort of pinching the wire back after the first sleeve, using the second to squeeze that in place, and have never had a failure.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:12 am

I use the single strand Mason, it is cheap and easily accessible hear as Mason Tackle is right and the corner. I am still working with different snaps but generally just use the cheapies!!! I am interested in that tyger braid!!!
MuskyDan