Flourocarbon Leaders

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:04 am

Well, the crimps are aluminum, and I went with crimps because I am not satisfied with any knot I have tried on 130 lb fluoro. The springs are stainless steel and prevent chaffing. I like this setup a lot. I set out a few years ago to build the best fluoro leaders with the best components. This is what I cam up with. They seem to hold up pretty well. There are about 6-7 people in MMA using theses regularly, and I am not aware of one failure. You can literally use them all season and unless somthing out of the ordinary happens, they are still in pretty good shape. I made some 2 years ago that I still use. I just change out the split ring or snap.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:15 am

Where do you get them?

BTW: the one in my pic is made with 100# fluorocarbon, and I used the knot below (which I found on www.thenextbitetv.com); it's a big PITA to tie, but it's neat and leaves the fly-end right up against and parallel to the leader's axis, which should reduce it's snagging on weeds:

http://www.thenextbitetv.com/images/sit ... r_knot.pdf
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:35 am

That is a good looking knot. My crimps are prolly overkill, but it works for me.

I get my components from:
http://www.malolotackle.com/index1.shtml - Crimps, Springs

Thorne Bros - Rings, BB swivels, Snaps

Cabelas - Fluoro

MuskyTom

Post by MuskyTom » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Chad makes some of the nicest leaders I have seen, very high quality.
Hemi, as far as your knots go, I think your leaders would be fine. I used to use Smity Flourocarbon Leaders and they look exactly like yours and I never had a problem until the snap got old from my constant changing or lures. But these guys have some very good suggestions about bulking up the components.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:07 pm

Yeah, that knot is simple, and amazingly strong, and Chad's leaders are impressive. I'm going to forego making more until I get the solid rings I ordered from Thorne Bros. today.

I also found some seamless SS rings at Cabela's, but they don't say how big they are, nor how many you get!

Solid rings at Cabela's

Anyone ever buy any of those?
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:19 am

Thanks guys. I have never seen those rings at Cabelas, but good to know. I would have to "touch them" to know if, or what I wanted.

robhj

Post by robhj » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey guys, I purchased the components for steel leaders and will be getting some fluoro/crimps/springs to make some fluorocarbon leaders as well. I know that I have seen the bending "tool" that I believe Hemi purchased from Cabelas in order to bend the steel around nicely to finish off your leader. I believe Will had mentioned using a nail to mold the wire first and his leaders looked awesome as well. Could anyone else recommend what they use to bend the wire and where they purchased it. I am probably overthinking this and should just try to make a few first. With 3 weeks to go, I want to make sure my business end is perfect for Mr. Toothy. Also, from other posts it seems steel leaders are used for most applications and fluoro for trolling since a fish will rarely inhale the entire lure. What are some of your thoughts regarding what is commonly used to troll such as pound test, fluoro v mono, leader type & length? Thanks for your input.

robhj

Post by robhj » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:30 pm

Hey guys, no need to respond and sorry for being lazy. I just found all the information I needed from the many posts made over the years pertaining to leaders. I really appreciate all the feedback as well as the pictures of finished leaders. Thanks again!!

brandon

Post by brandon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm

what is the correct way to crimp fluoro?i use a nail knot with glue but i never crimped before and am heisitant because im afraid of over crimping and cutting the fluoro.but i would crimp too if i knew how.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:22 pm

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniq ... iques.html

This is a good site for learning and buying materials. The correct tool and sleeves are critical! A good cup-cup crimping pliers and aluminum sleeves of the appropriate size must be used to ensure you do not get slippage, nor the sleeve cutting in to the line.