planer boards

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

finlander

planer boards

Post by finlander » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:43 pm

Anyone besides the King use them?? What size baits can you use on the Yellowbirds/small ones for $25 each? Now they offer a double board in a plastic material. Those might handle bigger baits, or multi lures? I made one 20 years ago, a dual, but only God knows what happened to it. I even bought a Yellowbird once....I think....and my uncle has a pair of small single ones still in the original packaging. I may have to buy those from him. What can the small omes handle?

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:23 am

I personally wouldn't mess with the in lines for muskie fishing. Make the investment and go with a mast and a pair of full size boards like Mike King makes. Whe you are pulling muskie size baits, this is the ticket. You can pull multiple baits in larger waves with no problem.

If you are going to try in-lines, I have been using the church tackle "the walley board". These work the best of any in-line I have tried. They are marginal in calm water, but if i was fising by myself on a small inland lake, I use them. Anything other than calm water, don't waste your time.

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:44 pm

I personally go with the OR-12s by Off-Shore Tackle. I especially like them rigged with the optional clip on the forward line which eliminates super line from slipping off the main connection. Mast & Ski outfits are nice for big water but not real practical for smaller in-land lakes.

finlander

planer boards

Post by finlander » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:40 am

What are those small ones designed for anyway? How much weight in a lure can they manage?????

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:48 pm

the small yellowbirds and such are for walleye fishing.
I've used them for 'skies, it get the lures 15ft or so away from the boat.
but thats it. I've trolled, Super Shad raps, trinities, and other
7 to 9" trolling baits. I haven't tried anything really hard pulling like a believer or jakes on them.
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"

Will Schultz

Re: planer boards

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:56 pm

finlander wrote:What are those small ones designed for anyway? How much weight in a lure can they manage?????
I think you could get one of the inline boards down about 15 feet with a Deep Threat attached to it... :P

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:22 pm

If you don't want to become a stinkin salmon 'fisherman' with your trolling set up (mast & ski), and who could blame you, then go with the Big Bird in-line boards from Yellow Bird. I'll let you figure out the difference, based on the name. They do a good enough job for me and the little bit of trolling I do- I have pulled big Jakes, 10" Believers, Depth Raiders, the usual fare with respectable results. No Deep Threats. You can't expect the world from an in-line board, but at least Big Birds are not designed for Wiggle Warts.

By the way, yes, any derogatory comments WERE intended for you St. Clair trollers! :twisted:

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:48 pm

Cmon Duke be nice!! I hear that the Mag Wart in pink tutu is a hot bait for spring musky :roll: :roll: :roll:
Kevin
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:42 am

Wow Duke, you shouldn't harbor those emotions... It's not healthy.

The mast and big boards are a bigger investment, and they take up more room in the boat, however, they offer many advantages. You can pull multiple or larger baits, and when the fish hits, the line releases from the clip and there is nothing between you and the fish. You can also troll in 2-3 footers if you want.

BTW, I trolled 4 hours on LSC last year...

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:42 am

aw come on, I just thought we just NEED A LITTLE CON-TRO-VER-SEE around here, gettin a little dull you know. Someone had to say something stupid to get people riled up, thought I was the man for the job!!! :lol:

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:49 am

But Duke, you are always so quiet and reserved... I know deep down you crave busy boat launches, pounding through boat slop, burning a hundy in gas, playing planer board chicken with a swarm of "salmon fisherman", cleaning squids (condoms) off your hooks, and catching skinny fish...

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:16 am

You paint such a pretty picture there Chad, I guess that's the price you pay to have a PHOTO ALBUM like yours eh!

Oh and I just now noticed the last line "BTW, I trolled 4 hours on LSC last year..." I really didn't mean to touch a nerve there, just good natured ribbing! Shoot, I even trolled more than 4 hours last year maybe, and caught more catfish (1) than muskies doing it! I actually really missed hearing the drag go off last year, truth be told.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 pm

You didn't hit a nerve, just slinging some crap back. I actaually pan to do a little more trolling in 07. I miss that ripping sound too.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:36 pm

Chasin50 wrote:You didn't hit a nerve, just slinging some crap back. I actaually pan to do a little more trolling in 07. I miss that ripping sound too.
My turn...

It's going to be hard to hear the rip if you have your ear plugged with this...

SNAP

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:42 pm

Chad- say it aint so!!