Release of big muskie draws praise

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Act helps species to repopulate

The Gananoque chapter of Muskie Canada is heralding the catch and release of a 65-pound muskellunge for its importance in aiding to preserve the population of Canada's king of the freshwater fish.

Jim Hutchings, president of the local Muskies Canada, said when Dale Mac-Nair returned his monster muskie to the water of the St. Lawrence last November, it was a good advancement for the species, which has been ravaged in recent years by a deadly virus.

"A lot of anglers would not have done what Dale did," Hutchings said. "He understands the muskie population in the St. Lawrence has had a fair amount of turmoil lately.

"We need to keep putting these fish back to keep the breeders and to have a population in the future.

More importantly, MacNair's muskie, measuring 57 inches in length and with a girth of 33 inches, was a female with several good years of spawning ahead.

Rotolo was ecstatic to see MacNair's muskie go back in the river.

"She still will be producing fish for more years. That's the beauty of it," he said.

"We are really promoting catch and release because it gives another angler a chance to catch the fish, which every year it is in the water is getting bigger and bigger."

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1399014

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:29 pm

I saw the rerplica of the fish in Chicago. It was freakin huge. A true monster.
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

edalz

Post by edalz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Kingfisher wrote:I saw the rerplica of the fish in Chicago. It was freakin huge. A true monster.
It was a real beast and Dale was there and he was actually signing autographs. Joe Bucher and a bunch of the presenters all praised his release of this fish and he seemed like a real nice guy.
Last edited by edalz on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:29 pm

Kingfisher wrote:I saw the rerplica of the fish in Chicago. It was freakin huge. A true monster.
So THAT'S what got your juices flowin' to catch a big one this year, eh? [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Yea it did :grin: I just needed to be be reminded that they exist. You had to stand next to it and see how big it really was to get an Idea of what it must have been like landing it. That fish was somewhere between 65 and 70 pounds. So yes it got me geeked. You know we have caught 4 over 50 inches and about 8 fish in the 30 pound range . But when you see a true fish over 40 pounds It makes you realize that there more levels to reach. I have reached the 30 pound mark and the 50 inch mark . I think those fish were tremendous but pale in comparison to Dales monster. I know that 40 and even 50 pounders exist here in Michigan but they are rare and not in places where I have been fishing enough. So this year the gloves come off and we get nasty. Nasty weather, nasty water and big nasty fish. It is always an adventure when we put down big lures and start looking for miss piggy. You cant catch them if you dont fish for them. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:17 am

Mike, I know exactly what you mean. I got the opportunity to see first hand the replica of Ryan Dempsey's fish from Green Bay. Absolutely astonishing. I've seen big fish before but a real 60 lb. plus fish is truly a spectacle to behold. I thought seeing a 40 plus go under the boat and turn away from a figure eight messed me up. If I ever saw a fish like that follow and not come back, I'd burn up all my vacation leave all at once.

queenfisher

Post by queenfisher » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 am

I don't remember agreeing to this "adventure" [smilie=cold.gif] . Do you have a new fishing partner that I don't know about??????????? I would like to catch more than 1 muskie this year!!!!! Queenfisher
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:32 am

Heheheheh. Image

What did Will say about targeting big ones at the Spoonpluggers meeting? "You have to be willing to walk away?"

:mrgreen:
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:53 am

Queenfisher needs not worry about Mike's fishing partner. There are several potential MMA rascals willing to fish with the better fishing half and let her catch more than one fish.
[smilie=cheers2.gif]

queenfisher

Post by queenfisher » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:36 am

Mr. Hamilton, nobody "lets" Queenfisher catch a muskie!!!! ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! [smilie=sign-gitrdone.gif]
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 pm

You got that right girl. A work ethic second to none!!

finlander

she's quicker

Post by finlander » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:16 pm

...she's quicker to the rod than Mikie....(too many years dancing on stages with Douglas is catchin up) [smilie=shots.gif]

queenfisher

Post by queenfisher » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:44 pm

It's a good thing the dog has good ears, otherwise we'd never hear the reels go off........ and we're both getting slower!!!! [smilie=grandpa.gif]

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:54 pm

[smilie=coffee.gif] [smilie=sign-iagree.gif] She may complaign but she will be there when miss piggy tears into the lure. Fingers frozen. sleet, rain, wind, ??? She loves it . [smilie=quickkiss.gif] IM A LUCKY GUY
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Mikey is bragging again! Hope the muskiefolk have a great time in 2009. [smilie=bow.gif]