Website Issues

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Website Issues

Post by Esoxonthefly » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 am

When I try to open the MMA site at my home computer I always get the message that the page is unavailable but when I'm at work I have no problem getting to the site. Why is this?

Chris Barton

website

Post by Chris Barton » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:48 am

I am also having problems getting to the website. My computer kept saying dns server error. I did a dns flush and this seemed to work, I'm here. Another website said you might need to do a manual proxy.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:21 am

You're speaking Chinese to me. I'm not much of a computer whiz so if you have step by step instructions that'd be great.

hemichemi

Re: Website Issues

Post by hemichemi » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:40 am

Esoxonthefly wrote:When I try to open the MMA site at my home computer I always get the message that the page is unavailable but when I'm at work I have no problem getting to the site. Why is this?
The reason the website was unavailable in February was because of a DNS server issue for our site. The bottom line is the DNS server for our domain is now DIFFERENT than it used to be, and for some reason your computer is not getting/using the proper info.

I think what Chris tried was starting a command window (Start | Run | cmd.exe) and then in the CMD window, try typing:

ipconfig /flushdns

See if that helps, JT. If not, your Internet Provider's DNS server needs to flush THEIR cache.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Chris Barton

website

Post by Chris Barton » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:02 am

Tom is correct, that is exactly what I did. The bad part is it worked the first time and then I had trouble getting back to the site yesterday. Today I tried and I got in. I just spoke with my internet provider and they did not think they needed to flush their DNS cache. I just we will see if I continue to have problems or not.

hemichemi

Re: website

Post by hemichemi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 am

Chris Barton wrote:Tom is correct, that is exactly what I did. The bad part is it worked the first time and then I had trouble getting back to the site yesterday. Today I tried and I got in. I just spoke with my internet provider and they did not think they needed to flush their DNS cache. I just we will see if I continue to have problems or not.
Something is causing our site's DNS server to be unavailable repeatedly, recently, apparently for brief periods of times. It's very frustrating, because Windoze boxes CACHE these "unavailable" DNS responses, and refuse to retry a DNS lookup right away! Hence the need to "flush the DNS cache". :evil:
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:37 pm

I tried the flush and for whatever reason my computer wouldn't do it. The good news is that today I can access the site from my home computer. Best I can do for now I guess.