Reporting Illegally Kept muskies?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Fri May 01, 2009 1:41 pm

yea, i understand i tried getting some facts across etc.. but when someone has that mentality its pretty tough to change. Especially when u get those guys every now and then that thinks they need to keep everything. I had a few friends like that in college that thought everytime we caught something it had to be kept. At least i was able to change some minds etc..

And like you guys were saying some of the guys don't even know at all how long it takes for a lot of the muskies to develop, or how fragile the fish really are. The only plus side is that most of these guys catch the muskies by luck fishing with worms etc.. we all know that virtually anyone that actively fishes hard for muskies and spends money on the equip etc.. respects the fish as well.

Ive just ignored most of the stuff cause its a tough situation lot of people have said some useful info to inform some of the guys, but in the same respect they have the nerve to say we aren't sportsman cause we only dream of catching trophy fish etc.. all in all a lot of contrasting beliefs, but nothing you can do but help to educate some of the guys.

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Fri May 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Exactly. There is a large percentage of the fishermen who you will have trouble reasoning with, unfortunately. That is just a fact. But as Cyberlunge said, at least you can say that you tried. And, you never know, the one guy that comes across as the most agressively opposed might someday "see the light". Stranger things have happened. It is difficult, but you have to give everyone that same benefit of the doubt, at least at first. I had a idea the other day......while daydreaming......what if I kept every walleye I caught incidentally while muskie fishing, whether I wanted to or not, then when I saw someone boat a muskie and they say "No way I'm keeping it to eat", I'd say, "I'll trade you that 42.5" muskie for two nice big walleyes, as long as I can still revive it. Deal?"