New GL Muskellunge State Record

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

fisheslikevulture

still sad..

Post by fisheslikevulture » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:54 pm

quite the fish and an admirable story, but I am still sad. I have a cottage on that darn lake and recognize all the spots in the photos. AND I was already planning to fish up there the next two weekends... There will probably be a thousand boats out there now! I am happy for the guy but crying inside.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Chad Yes, interested.
Duke, well said.

Minnow00

Post by Minnow00 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:05 pm

WOW...what a monster. There could be bigger yet out there too.
Sneek up on em and toss em a big lure...

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:24 pm

kid coulson wrote:Chad Yes, interested.
Duke, well said.
Kermit Good

810 706 1728

Please tell him i sent you...

Lureless

Post by Lureless » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Soooooo disappointing, I have had a trip planned for this weekend for a month. But to be honest I still need one of any size up there. What a fish!

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:16 am

Why disappointed? You should be excited that big fish are vulnerable right now!!!

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:31 am

Its agreed that 50lb. muskies are very rare. But your chances of catching one haven't really diminished at all just because one fish bit the dust. Find a system that you think has monsters in it and GO FISH before the ice comes and either sends you home or south! I always tell everyone I fish with even when conditions are tough, you gotta have PFA.

Cool Hand Hodge

Post by Cool Hand Hodge » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Kingfisher wrote:If I lived there I would still be guiding. Its like those guys on the Larry, Georgian bay, St. Clair, Lac suel etc. Its in the back yard and you get to go with minimal cost. Heck, he drives his boat to work probably trolls to work ha ha ha . . If I could have a choice of where to live it would be right there. Or maybe on the Indian River or The st. Marys river or , or or , sheesh a guy could go nuts dreaming about it. I got to fish twice this year, Opening day and one day on Murray. Chasin50,we are going up on the 10th of October for the auction trip. Will you join us? Mike
Hell, i have a cottage on Lake St. Clair in Belle River and i dont get out much at all. Hats off for a great catch. To my credit, i only have a 14 foot boat and trolling st. clair is not a winning battle in such a small craft. I kill the smallies though!
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Wow if I had your cottage I would catch 200 muskies a year. Like chad said it would take one of us 34 years to log that many miles and hours on Torch. You have to live there to fish there a lot. I get up there once a year. You need a bigger boat :mrgreen: Kingfisher
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Cool Hand Hodge

Post by Cool Hand Hodge » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:23 pm

gets better...its only 20 miles from my house in Mi.! In reality, i have no idea how to troll for muskies...if you ever get up that way and want to show a newbie how its done...ill buy the gas!

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

I dont know if there is a big enough boat for Lake St. Clair. That lake can get real rough. You could out in your 14 footer if it was calm winds and forcasted to stay calm. The problem is you need to get out in 14 to 18 feet of water and that is a long way from shore. Michelle and I fished all over the Belle area and off the Ruscom river mouth. W e used to launch at the belle river launch right there by the main road. Then we started going to the ruscom and staying at Rochester place. To really do well trolling there you should have at leats a high sided 17 foot boat and 75 horses so you can run back in hurry if it gets nasty. A good G.P.S. and depth finder. Planer boards and lots of great lures. W e wont be coming to canada this year maybe next. Kingfisher
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Cool Hand Hodge

Post by Cool Hand Hodge » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 am

That cottage and boat has been passed down in my family since the 50s. Ive been fishing st. clair in that boat since the early 80s. Your absolutly correct about that lake getting rough. IMHO its worse than erie or michigan and ive fished them both. On a clear day, the 14 footer does great. I have taken it from belle river to just about every point in the lake including down the river to erie, harsons, anchor bay, mitchels, stoney point etc. Its seen alot of differant outboards in its day, but i got the boat when i was 16, restored it and put a new johnson 15 2 stroke on it. It runs between 20 and 25 mph with one person and gear on the gps...no great shakes, but not too bad. Only problem is that fishing only when the weather is perfect severly limits your days on the water! I have had some real close encounters out there in that boat when storms roll in. Best you can do is keep the bow into the waves, bail, and pray! Works every time! [smilie=attention.gif]