Muskies helping out again!

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

robhj

Muskies helping out again!

Post by robhj » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:20 pm

This was taken from a post on muskiefirst.com. For the entire article go here:

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/ind ... kaid_lake/

While many observers have been waiting for Kinkaid to produce a record muskie, the lake also has a very good crappie fishery, according to long-time Kinkaid Lake guide Al Nutty, who said:

“There are three things that have made the crappie fishing that good. One is the forage base, in combination with the muskies. I think the muskies are the catalyst on the whole thing. Before the muskies came along those gizzard shad got 8-12 inches long, far too big for a crappie to eat. But the muskies target the larger shad and that leaves more little ones for the bass and crappie and walleye.

“The second thing, when they put a 9-inch limit, 25-fish bag on it, we started catching quality crappie two years later. Now some of my buddies who were infuriated they had put a crappie limit on the lake, they are starting to push to raise the limit to 10 inches to restrict the harvest more.

“The third thing I think is angler cooperation. Most guys abide by the limit.”
Rob Hulverson

john c

Re: Muskies helping out again!

Post by john c » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:34 am

robhj wrote:"Before the muskies came along those gizzard shad got 8-12 inches long, far too big for a crappie to eat. But the muskies target the larger shad and that leaves more little ones for the bass and crappie and walleye."
I'm not sure this is exactly true, and I'm not sure this is the mindset we really want out there.

Thanks for trying to be positive about it though!

robhj

Post by robhj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 am

The main take away for me was about predator/prey balance, increased size limits, & reduced bag limits all having a positive affect on this fishery. It's nice to see it didn't talk about the crappie population crashing and coorelate that to the muskies.
Rob Hulverson

john c

Post by john c » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:11 am

robhj wrote:...It's nice to see it didn't talk about the crappie population crashing and coorelate that to the muskies.
Good point, definitely!