planer board trolling

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

sabbatoy

planer board trolling

Post by sabbatoy » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:18 pm

I was wondering for those that troll with planer boards, which type do you like.?? For the inlines I have both Off Shore and Church walleye boards. I also have a mast and folding boards. I usually just fish Murray and like the idea of getting a better spread. I think the mast is a bit overkill for Murray, but wonder if the inlines will hold up to smaller / shallower running baits.?? Thanks, Scott
"You might beat the wrap, but you can't beat the ride"....KCSD

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:53 pm

I have used inlines and hate them with a passion. Just Like dipsy divers they have cost me fish while getting them off the line. I built my own twin masts for 10 bucks a side out of chrome plated 1 inch tube and some eye bolts. I used rail bases to attach them to flat aluminum plates that slide into a set of 6 inch Tite loc tracks . One on each side next to my windshield on the Star Craft and on the front casting deck of my jon boat. Once the release lets go its just the line and the fish. Much more control and you can let out the boards as far as you have line for or keep them tight. Any size lures, weights, and another option comes into play using sliders which you can not do with inlines. Inlines are for walleye baits and small musky lures. My suggestion is dont limit yourself with inlines and dont waste 300 bucks on a central mast. We have 31 inch twin ski Cedar boards for 125.00 per set. I can show you how to build a set of lightweight and strong masts for under 50.00 . Releases are anywhere down riggers are sold. You get this set up you can fish anywhere from Lower Crooked to Lake Michigan and anywhere in between. Mike and Michelle
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:25 am

For small inland lakes the mast and boards are overkill IMO. On a busy lake you'll probably end up untangling jet skis from your boards. Inlines will work with most baits. Both systems work, both have their drawbacks. A good angler should have both at their disposal and should know how to make both tools work.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:37 pm

Kingfisher, your setup souds great, especially the cost part. Could you please post some pics? Will, you too, if you have suggestions.

Thanks!

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:08 pm

There are pics on the photo forum on page three of our 2010 post. They show the two board rods in the holders and little side mounted mast. Tracks make it all work like 10. I have tracks on both boats so any hardware from my Starcraft can be used on my Jon boat.

As far as jet skis go my 31 and 34 inch boards are lot easier to see than a little yellow bird walleye board. My biggest complaint with inline boards is that the board attaches to the line and rod forcing the use of Heavier rods than are needed Like Dipsy rods versus standard 7 foot glass trolling rods. They also slide down to the swivel and sometimes pretty hard. I dislike Dipsy divers even more than inline planer boards. I can bring my boards in as close as I need to get narrow or let them all the way out. The system is as versatile as any out there. I can even troll with super light lines for brown trout and Steelhead by using softer releases. I have not yet found a need to buy inline boards. Saric pushes them all the time and I cant for the life of me see why. Other then the fact that they can store in a locker they are of no use to me. But as Will says they are just another tool in the box to catch fish. Used properly with the right rod and reel, line and lures can catch a lot of fish. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Corey K

Post by Corey K » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:25 pm

For as sweet as Church boards pull a full core and copper in rough water you would think that they handle most muskie baits. Never have had a board release, one church clip (the best board release) and a speed bead ahead of the lure just in case, point the rod directly at the board when it nears the boat and they won't dive and about in a second the boards off. But this is just from salmon experience, I will have to try it a little if I can stand it for more than 20 minutes.

ron berry

Post by ron berry » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:38 pm

20 minutes wow thats 10 minutes to long