Dr. Kelley Smith, chief of the Fisheries Division Honored

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Hamilton Reef

Dr. Kelley Smith, chief of the Fisheries Division Honored

Post by Hamilton Reef » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:32 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sept. 15, 2010

DNRE Fisheries Chief Kelley Smith Honored with American Fisheries Society Mentoring Award

Dr. Kelley Smith, chief of the Department of Natural Resources and Environment Fisheries Division, recently received a prestigious national award from the
American Fisheries Society, recognizing his commitment to increasing workplace diversity through the mentoring of students and colleagues from minority or
underrepresented groups.

Smith was named the recipient of the Mentoring for Professional Diversity in Fisheries/Aquatic Sciences Award at a recent AFS annual meeting in Pittsburgh.
The award honors individuals who, through professional mentoring, have challenged intellectual growth, provided networking opportunities and career
development, offered professional encouragement, support and advocacy, and acted as a positive role model for students and young professionals of diverse
backgrounds.

Smith is known by his colleagues as a supportive manager who encourages his staff to pursue professional development and leadership opportunities to achieve
their career goals, while using creative strategies to increase knowledge building on the job.

"Kelley is an enthusiastic mentor who willingly and unconditionally shares his time and knowledge with colleagues and peers, and most especially, with students
who have an interest in fisheries management," said DNRE Fish Production Manager Gary Whelan. "He has had a dramatic impact on increasing diversity among our
future natural resource leaders and we are better for it."

Smith began his career with the DNRE as a research biologist in 1985, was promoted to Fish Production Manager in 1996, and has served as Fisheries
Division Chief since 1997. In 2005, Fisheries Division staff founded the Fenske Memorial Award to honor Smith's late wife, Janice Fenske, who was the first
female fisheries biologist hired by the DNRE. Smith proudly plays an active role in this award program, which recognizes outstanding young fisheries and wildlife
college students and provides networking opportunities and financial assistance to help the students begin their new careers.

In 2006, Smith also established the Fenske Fellowship program at Michigan State University, which provides substantial funding to graduate students from
minority or underrepresented groups to undertake a one-year project with a government fisheries resource agency. During the fellowship, the student works
with a mentor from within the agency, who assists the fellow in navigating and understanding the resource agency while providing opportunities for professional
development and networking. During the 2009-2010 academic year, Smith served as the Fenske Fellow mentor.

"With a true zeal and commitment to professional diversity, Kelley has personally taken individuals under his tutelage and has challenged them to
improve their abilities by providing a broad range of leadership training opportunities, while also ensuring that students from underrepresented or
minority groups are recognized for their accomplishments and treated fairly," said Michigan State University Distinguished Professor William Taylor. "I simply
cannot imagine a more deserving individual of this award."

In his acceptance comments, Smith said he will continue to focus on encouraging students as they embark on their new careers and become the next generation of
natural resource managers.

"My reward over the years has been watching the excited faces of those young students who have benefited from the opportunities presented by the Fenske Award
and Fenske Fellowship programs, not to mention tracking the successful starts of their careers," Smith said. "I truly believe additional recognition is not
necessary, but I greatly appreciate this award. It is probably the best recognition I have received during my career, and I accept this on behalf of all
those who have helped me make a difference in Jan's memory."

Smith earned a B.S. in Fisheries Biology and Management from Michigan State University in 1978, and received both an M.S. in Biometrics and a Ph.D. in
Fisheries Biology and Management from the University of Michigan.

The Department of Natural Resources and Environment is committed to the conservation, protection, management, accessible use and enjoyment of the
state's environment, natural resources and related economic interests for current and future generations. Learn more at www.michigan.gov/dnre.