Help the DNR

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Will Schultz

Help the DNR

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Got this email this week. Anyone interested?

I am in the process of planning events in February at four of our local state parks as part of Free Fishing Weekend, and received your name from the DNR Fisheries Division as someone who might be a good resource. I'm in need of a few instructors to help teach winter ice fishing or fly fishing, fish cleaning, show the gear used, etc.

The Parks and Rec Division of the DNR has begun a program called "Rec 101" where we provide all the "gear, guides, and good times" to give someone unfamiliar with a recreational activity a chance to explore it before fully committing. We'd like to offer Rec 101: Intro to Ice Fishing during the February programs listed below. In return, the business involved gets some great exposure through our marketing efforts, which include press releases, numerous web event listing sites, Facebook promotion, and flyer distribution.

The February FFW program parks and dates are:

Ionia Rec Area in Ionia: Sunday, February 19th from 10-11 - PRIORITY NEED (designated trout stream)
Brighton Rec Area in Howell: Sunday, February 19th from 2-5 - PRIORITY NEED
Sleepy Howell State Park in Laingsburg: Saturday, February 18th from 1-4
Waterloo Recreation Area in Chelsea: Saturday, February 18th from 10-2

I'm hoping to do the same thing during the June 18th/19th Free Fishing Weekend at all eight of the state parks I plan programs for. Those include the four listed above as well as Maybury State Park in Northville, Hayes State Park in Onsted down by MIS, Island Lake Rec Area in Brighton, and lastly the Pinckney Rec Area.

But my real need at this time is February, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you or someone you know is willing and available next month. Talk to you soon!

Tracy Ball
Recreation Program Assistant
Rose Lake District
734-787-0062
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.