Pike Production Factors

Topics concerning muskellunge and fisheries research, diseases, stocking and management.
Hamilton Reef

Pike Production Factors

Post by Hamilton Reef » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Pike Production Factors
The Science Behind Growing Gators

Recruitment, growth, and mortality: three words that on the surface may not make an angler’s ears ring but buzz loudly in a fishery biologist’s. These three rate functions are important because they interact to shape fish populations. Recruitment and growth add, mortality subtracts. What results are characteristics of a fish stock—age structure, size structure, and density—at any point in time.
http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/pik ... on-factors

biiigfish32

pike

Post by biiigfish32 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:37 am

I got this issue a couple weeks ago, and the article was pretty cool. Shoule we start useing slot limits for pike?
Corey P (biiigfish32)

Will Schultz

Re: pike

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:08 pm

biiigfish32 wrote:I got this issue a couple weeks ago, and the article was pretty cool. Shoule we start useing slot limits for pike?
From a management perspective slot limits make the most sense for many species. Unfortunately from an enforcement perspective slot limits are generally not supported.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

john c

Post by john c » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Let me try to resurrect this one:

Is there any inkling out there, anywhere, that maximum size limits might have a chance someday?

ccmovi8

Post by ccmovi8 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:28 pm

john c wrote:Let me try to resurrect this one:

Is there any inkling out there, anywhere, that maximum size limits might have a chance someday?
I would love to see that happen! I just found a lake by my house that produces big pike and in 2006 someone hauled in a 51in pike! I would like to see those kind of fish put back so maybee someone else can experience that too. But I think it's just a pipe dream.